Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Super Chat Part 15: The return of that one guy with the thing.
Chocolate, grapes, raisins and onions are the things I've been told never to give a dog or cat.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
I've never seen the issues of slurs/terminology/"it's okay I can say it"/"I don't mean it that way"/etc. summed up so succinctly in a single sentence: "If you cannot say it to the people’s face and walk away with the same smile you had coming in, don’t say it.”

That just covers it all right there.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
(09-07-2016, 03:24 AM)JBK405 Wrote:  I've never seen the issues of slurs/terminology/"it's okay I can say it"/"I don't mean it that way"/etc. summed up so succinctly in a single sentence: "If you cannot say it to the people’s face and walk away with the same smile you had coming in, don’t say it.”

That just covers it all right there.

Does not apply to sociopaths, unfortunately.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
(09-06-2016, 06:58 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  Finished listening to the the 1982, first John gardner James Bond novel In Special Services.

It was ok, but I thought SPECTRE's plot was a little silly when it was given.

They wanted to grab NORAD's nuclear missiles with the help of..........mind controlling ice cream.

Gentlemen, I give you the face of SPECTRE 2.0

[Image: ben-and-jerrys.jpg]

I love Ben and Jerry both the people and the ice cream but 16 years ago they sold out their hippie rules and run company to a corporate giant who runs the company with traditional corporate values but keeps them on for patronizing folksy marketing. It's insulting.
Well it's a tradition now. It's been a couple days and I still don't know the meaning of the thread title and as always google has not been my friend.
Tradition!

[Image: fiddler-on-the-roof-copy-1.jpg]
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

Equality is not a loss.
(09-07-2016, 01:32 PM)Lester C Wrote:  Well it's a tradition now. It's been a couple days and I still don't know the meaning of the thread title and as always google has not been my friend.

There's no meaning to be honest.

I ran out of movie titles and because I still feel shitty, posted a title that sounded as vague as possible.
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
If you wanted a dirty title the 15th Bond film would have worked which according to Wikipedia is The Living Daylights.
Maybe it's cause I'm French Canadian and all but is the term Living Daylights dirty?

I get this one though:

[Image: (SB)__Octopussy.jpg]

And in the Goldfinger novel, the character Pussy Galore is a lady in charge of a New York lesbian group of cat burglar so yeah Ian Fleming wasn't really subtle in those things.

But the Living Daylight short story is about Bond having to use a sniper rifle against another sniper, realizes the sniper is a young women who doesn't know how to really handle a gun so instead of shooting her (Because he only kills professionals.......yeah right), shoots the butt of her rifle and.......scaring the living daylight out of her as Bond says hence the title.

I guess they don't have the phrase !@#$ing the living daylights out of you in Canada.
well............not in French.

I never heard that one honestly which is surprising considering that I've hung around very dirty people.

We need JBK to clarify. He's pedantic but in a good way just a treasure trove of knowlege and wisdom on everything. I'm pretty sure it's is or was I guess since I got the internet a common phrase in smut novels and whatnot.
'The living daylights' is a (relatively) common phrase, but its usage is neither explicitly dirty or non-dirty, it's usually used as emphasis to an action in a similar way as "into next week" or "half-to-death" is.  You can say somebody was "knocked into next week" or they were "scared half-to-death", etc. and the same usage can apply here; "scared the living daylights out of me" or "knocked the living daylights out of you".

According to Wikipedia, the expression originally referred to a person's eyes and, by extension, their ability to see and, by extension again, their ability to live and function.

"The earliest recorded reference to this term comes from the 1752 novel Amelia by Henry Fielding, in which a character states his readiness to physically assault a particular woman: 'If the lady says another such words to me ... I will darken her daylights.'"

Equality is not a loss.
See. I got the thread title combining what me and Cat said word for word which is a shame because I would have loved to work Octopussy in the post. "Super Chat Part 15: The return of that one guy with the thing !@#$ing the living daylights out of you in Canada."
(09-07-2016, 06:20 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  well............not in French.

I never heard that one honestly which is surprising considering that I've hung around very dirty people.

Apparently French Canadian people swear like Troopers so it is surprising!
If you listen to nothing else I say, if you disregard all other advice I give, remember this one simple helpful process:

Turn it off and turn it back on.

Equality is not a loss.
I've only seen clips of Kevin Smith Canadian movies but I wonder if real Canadians think it's racist.
(09-08-2016, 07:44 PM)Lester C Wrote:  I've only seen clips of Kevin Smith Canadian movies but I wonder if real Canadians think it's racist.

Nah, we just think they are really bad movies.

And there's still one more of those left, about a moose eating people, called Moosejaw (Get it?).

I agree with Brad Jones that Kevin Smith needs to smoke less pot because those movies are basically two stoned guys going "Wouldn't it be funny if........."

What strange is that while I can't stand Smith's films now, I love his various podcasts. He's become one of those people where you love to hang out with but would never want to work with or for them. That said the Moose Jaw one sounds interesting.
I don't know, having worked retail for over a decade, this part from Clerks still makes me laugh.