Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise
Thought we could use a general Star Trek discussion thread for the various films, TV series, comics, etc. I wasn't a fan of Star Trek as a kid though I had seen a few episodes of Next Generation and Deep Space Nine neither really held my interest at the time. I first got into the original series when I started catching reruns on late at night when I would come home from the bar. At first I would laugh at how silly some of the special effects were like the costume the dog wears in "The Enemy Within". Eventually I started to really enjoy the stories. I've managed to watch every episode of the original series, Next Generation, the animated series and the prequel Enterprise. I've caught some reruns of Voyager, a few episodes of DS9 and I've seen all the films including the newest ones. I haven't read many of the comics but I'd love to hear recommendations.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison
A trailer was released at SDCC for the upcoming series Star Trek Discovery.  It looks like the series is set after Enterprise and before the original series but also takes place in the Abrams-verse.  I'm exciting to see Klingons in this.

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison
The answer to "Kirk or Picard?" is "Sisko".
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
(07-25-2017, 08:06 PM)JBK405 Wrote:  The answer to "Kirk or Picard?" is "Sisko".

Agreed............and his mother f*cking pimp hand.

[Image: U.S.S._Defiant_NX-74205.jpg]
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
Loved the original series and most of the old movies, found Next Gen preachy, boring and overly political, DS9 even moreso but Voyager was more my thing, the closest to the original of the later series and Enterprise was a bit awkward as it was set before any of the others and that actually limited what they could do a lot of the time because much of it was already cast in stone. The fact that special effects and technology had moved on meant that it had a weird steampunk look as everything had to look more primitive than on shows made 20 and 30 years prior! The animated show was passable as a kid but looks corny now. I liked the modern movies too, first and third anyway, not so much the second one.

I can't wait for more Trek but I hope they go with a more action / adventure format and don't turn it into Borgen or the West Wing with people with lumpy heads and / or blue skin.

I don't want to sound misogynistic at all but I really hope they get a female Vulcan cast member. I liked T'Pol and the original Saavik (a relatively young Kirstie Alley) although I guess Robin Curtis wasn't so terrible but not nearly as good as Kirstie Alley. Even Voyager went with Seven of Nine who was a former Borg so she had that logical, unemotional thing going on too.
A weird thing for me about the Star Trek series is that, with the exception of "Enterprise" (which I hated from the start), I tend to enjoy the series when they're running a lot more than I like them in retrospect. I grew up with the original series and it's still my favorite by far, but it's the only one I ever have interest in re-watching and the only one I own on DVD. I liked Next Gen a lot when it was on (though the quality could be spotty and it often got too preachy for my liking), and I watched Deep Space Nine all the way through. Liked Voyager for a while, though I think I lost interest a couple seasons before the end. But except for the original series I just don't have any lingering interest. I saw the first Abrams movie and liked it pretty well, but have had no interest in any of the sequels.

I think what I'd really like to see is a series set in the Star Trek universe that's about civilians. I'd rather watch a series about Harry Mudd than yet another boring formula show full of military ranks and regulations and prime directives. I'm done with that approach to the Trekverse.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
Has anyone read Star Trek: Waypoint? I flipped through the first issue at my LCS this week and love the idea of revisiting classic characters in new stories. I didn't pick it up but plan to and apparently there are already five issues out. I had picked up the Free Comic Book Day issue of Star Trek: The Next Generation: Mirror Broken and enjoyed it as well along with Star Trek: Deviations which both feature alternate reality versions of Next Gen characters. Is anyone reading any of the new IDW series?

(07-25-2017, 09:44 PM)AndrewCrossett Wrote:  I'd rather watch a series about Harry Mudd

I think that was Rainn Wilson playing a young Harry Mudd in the Star Trek Discovery trailer. From what I've read there was almost a Harry Mudd spin-off in the 60s.
I've read the Waypoint comics and they've been pretty good.

As for the TV shows, Deep Space Nine is my favorite.
The new series at least doesn't look actively bad. I'll wait until I actually see it to form any real judgement, but there's nothing in the trailer to cause me to already write it off.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

Equality is not a loss.
I can't imagine how good the new series would have to be to make me subscribe to yet another pay TV service.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
Sorta Star Trekish.

Found a game on STEAM called Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator. Up to six players take the role of the bridge crew and play a game that makes it seem very much like the bridge of the Enterprise.

Looks pretty cool.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247350/Artemis_Spaceship_Bridge_Simulator/
(07-26-2017, 04:35 AM)DungeonmasterJim Wrote:  Sorta Star Trekish.

Found a game on STEAM called Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator. Up to six players take the role of the bridge crew and play a game that makes it seem very much like the bridge of the Enterprise.

Looks pretty cool.

But there is the PSVR game Star Trek : Bridge Crew which is a virtual reality game actually in the Star Trek universe. Surely that is a better option? Assuming the person has PS4 and PSVR of course...
I probably won't see the new series unless they put it out on DVD because I am not paying for access.
(07-26-2017, 04:35 AM)DungeonmasterJim Wrote:  Sorta Star Trekish.

Looks pretty cool.

I was at a convention a few months ago and they actually had Artemis set up in a separate room where people could come in as a group to.

I didn't partake, but it looked cool.

Equality is not a loss.
They made a mistake by setting this new Trek series in a similar time frame with TOS. Obviously you can't do a show today with the lovably cheesy visual effects of the 60's, but it will also look absurd to have super-advanced VFX and try to claim that this lines up with TOS. It's a lose-lose situation.

(07-26-2017, 02:28 PM)JBK405 Wrote:  I was at a convention a few months ago and they actually had Artemis set up in a separate room where people could come in as a group to.

I didn't partake, but it looked cool.

I only discovered the game because of this year's Dragon Con early booklet that was mailed out. I did some quick Googling and thought it looked pretty cool.

I see some of the folks from the old board that don't post here at Dragon Con. I may try to gather some up to try it. Smile
I was rewatching the "Arena" episode of the original series as it was shown on MeTV a week or so ago and I didn't realize they were showing the recent Blu-ray special edition until the Gorn blinked and I laughed so hard I nearly choked on my drink. There's a youtube channel that shows both versions for comparison for those interested.  While there are some beautifully CGI painted planets during the outer space scenes in the new versions I feel it was a completely unnecessary addition.

Hey, sometimes giant lizard-men need to blink. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Equality is not a loss.
I don't care if the new special effects are nice, I want the one I grew up watching.

I've become a genuine Luddite in my old age.

The Star Trek modifications at least don't change what happened. That sets it apart from Star Wars and plenty of other re-issues that use new CGI to modify the content itself. Plus, they at least imitate the style of the original as well.

It's not perfect, but it could be so much worse.

Equality is not a loss.