Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018!
The New Year is already beginning in the Antipodes and will reach the old world in around half a day so it is a good time for a New Year thread.

We always have a very quiet New Year as we stay up past the bells but usually go to bed (or try to as sometimes there is excessive noise from elsewhere) fairly early due to the fact we don’t drink and the New Year TV shows that used to go on past 2am finish half an hour into the New Year now which would have been unthinkable back in the 80s and 90s. We used to sit and watch musical performances and dancing and poetry readings and all that stuff for hours but it is about four rushed songs (generally without the open air performances which have been common since the 90s in the past couple of years) and then off. There used to be a lot of comedy shows on prior to the Hogmanay special but it has ended up with one show (Only an Excuse) which started as a football (soccer) show but has political and TV figures from Scotland on it regularly now. It has been rubbish for over a decade despite having intially being very funny. The fact that BBC Scotland doesn’t get on with my favourite club means that there are usually spiteful jabs at Rangers on Only An Excuse and they don’t cover any home matches on Radio Scotland which is ridiculous. Haven’t watched Only An Excuse for a couple of years because BBC Scotland keep making up false stories about the club. Their lead football reporter has been banned from Rangers games and press conferences around 5 times and this has been the case for over a year.

STV have a traditional music show on tonight and that might actually be better.
I tried to purposely set things up to make me have a good shot at having a good year in 2018. I have my money set aside for flight and hotel for both Dragon Con and Origins. I haven't been to Origins in 10 years. Dragon Con is getting tougher and tougher as it continues to grow. Dragon Con had something like 70,000+ attendees last year. One of my friends from Trinidad is suppose to join me at Dragon Con so that's cool. We play D&D through Skype but I haven't seen him in person for at least 6 years.

I bought tickets to take my nephew to Pax East which is a electronic gaming type con. It's in my state so no flight or hotel needed but it sells out fast and then getting a ticket becomes ridiculous. So I'm excited for my vacations. We're only going one day to Pax so I may even hop over to New York for a day to go to comic con that same weekend.

Work killed off unlimited over-time but we have a schmuck worker that took off Christmas for his 2nd liposuction surgery of the year so I got stuck working a lot of over-time. I actually got really exhausted from the mandatory OT but in the end I did reach my end year goal of having all of January and February 2018 bills in the bank.

The NFL team I cheer for, The New England Patriots looked posed to make another strong run to win the NFL championship. I'll be looking to score play-off tickets if they host the game where the winner advances to the Super Bowl.

I sent my novel to only one agent as December is a tough time to submit as everyone is so busy. So I'll wait for a few weeks into January and really get towards submitting to numerous agents. If not, I'll self publish. I'v already printed off a few proof copies. And I've started working on the second novel involving the same character.

I'm probably giving up collecting comics though. Brian Bendis is headed off to DC and I'm just not a DC fan. That would leave me with collecting the Walking Dead, Ms. Marvel and anything drawn by Alan Davis or Stuart Immomen. So that's a little sad.

Other than that, I'll just have to wait and see what 2018 holds as it comes.
I don't have anything planned as a New Year's celebration, but I'll be going to see Molly's Game with my father (I'm leaving in a minute). After that it's hopefully going to be a nice, quiet night in.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
Going to dinner at my parents. A piano concert in the evening. Might make it to midnight, might not.

I've given up on the tradition of hoping "next year" is better than "last year" because it never is.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
I know for sure I'm not making it to midnight.

Having a quiet dinner and evening with Michel and the cats.

2018 better be at least a little better than 2017 which for me was more or less back pain and depression
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
[Image: tumblr_npi3r9lEn91upfu3oo1_500.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_npi3r9lEn91upfu3oo2_500.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_npi3r9lEn91upfu3oo3_500.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_npi3r9lEn91upfu3oo4_500.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_npi3r9lEn91upfu3oo5_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_npi3r9lEn91upfu3oo6_500.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_npi3r9lEn91upfu3oo7_500.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_npi3r9lEn91upfu3oo8_500.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_npi3r9lEn91upfu3oo9_500.jpg]
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

Equality is not a loss.
[Image: tumblr_p1oxmdWTXO1qiuiebo1_1280.jpg]

Bring it on 2018!

Equality is not a loss.
Happy New Year!

Other than a few repeatedly banging doors around 4am I didn’t have any problems last night. Took me a little while to get to sleep because of that though.
I did it!

I went to sleep in 2017 and woke up in 2018!

Woo!

Equality is not a loss.
(01-01-2018, 12:52 PM)JBK405 Wrote:  I did it!

I went to sleep in 2017 and woke up in 2018!

Woo!

You DIDN’T stay up for the bells? That used to be a hanging offence in Scotland at least until 1990. Wink
(01-01-2018, 02:40 PM)Weeto Wrote:  You DIDN’T stay up for the bells? That used to be a hanging offence in Scotland at least until 1990. Wink

So who was your First Foot this year?
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
(01-01-2018, 06:20 PM)AndrewCrossett Wrote:  
Weeto dateline='<a href="tel:1514817640">1514817640</a>' Wrote:  You DIDN’T stay up for the bells? That used to be a hanging offence in Scotland at least until 1990. Wink

So who was your First Foot this year?

Haven’t had one yet. It has been horribly quiet today. No public transport on New Year’s Day here either.
When I was a kid we used to get our downstairs neighbour to be our first foot. It is traditionally lucky to have a tall, dark haired man as your first foot (some places allow a resident of the house to first foot as long as they were outside at midnight but this is not usual practice and we didn’t count this) so a six foot tall, 462 pound guy with black hair and a moustache was ideal!