Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Comic Book Day 2018
Any one else go out for Free Comic Book Day this year?

I did and you can read my recap of the even HERE!
I took some friends to my LCS for Free Comic Book Day, perhaps their first time a comic shop (Although I took them to a local con last year as well). I showed them around and introduced them to some of the concepts of the place. They bought a few collected floppies, and they even got issue #1 one of the new Domino series (They liked it).

It could be they’ll enter our world….they also might not. We’ll have to see how it goes.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
This story genuinely heartwarming. It shouldn't be but it reslly warming the cockles of my heart.
(05-07-2018, 03:01 AM)Lester C Wrote:  This story genuinely heartwarming. It shouldn't be but it reslly warming the cockles of my heart.

Mine or JBK's?
I got to the store fairly late in the day... well after noon, at least. We were allowed to take 5 comics, although I could have picked out a dozen. There were quite a few that interested me this year. The shop usually puts out some of the leftovers in a free box so I might be able to grab some more.

I got:

BARRIER by Brian K. Vaughan (Image Comics). This is a series he's doing that apparently will never be offered digitally or in a TPB collection. I started reading it, and it looks interesting, having something to do with the "coyotes" who bring in illegal immigrants from Mexico. But half the issue is in Spanish, with no translation given. I guess I'll get back to it when I feel up to putting pages of dialogue through an online translator. But seriously... hooray for multiculturalism, but if you're writing an anglophone comic, write it in English or provide a translation.

WORLD'S GREATEST CARTOONISTS anthology (Fantagraphics). To my surprise, they were almost out of this when I arrived, and I had to take the display copy. Either the store ordered very few copies, or independent experimental comics are more popular around here than I thought. This contained several-page excerpts from some of Fantagraphics' current stuff, which means it was always interesting, sometimes entertaining and frequently incoherent.

STREET ANGEL'S DOG (Image Comics). I remember getting and liking the original Street Angel miniseries when it first came out, more than 15 years ago. It's a (mostly) humorous series about a young homeless girl named Jesse Sanchez with a skateboard and ninja-like powers who becomes a feared urban legend in the tough city where she lives. In this one she rescues a dog from a gang of thugs and tries to make it her sidekick.

STRANGERS IN PARADISE by Terry Moore (Abstract Studios). Haven't read this one yet. I read the first couple of TPB's years ago but fell away from it for some reason and have been meaning to get back to it.

GHOST IN THE SHELL: GLOBAL NEURAL NETWORK (Kodansha Comics). Haven't read this one yet either. I've really been meaning to get into the Ghost in the Shell universe but have never really been clear on where to start.

The other titles that interested me:

COMICS FRIENDS FOREVER (:01 First Second)
BERLIN by Jason Lutes (Drawn & Quarterly)
BONGO FREE FOR ALL
JAMES BOND: VARGR by Warren Ellis (Dynamite)
THE METABARON (Humanoids)
THE ONLY LIVING BOY (Papercuts)
THE MALL (Scout Comics)
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
The Mall was pretty good.

And I have to say that I was pretty surprised to find that I enjoyed the Power Rangers comic.
(05-07-2018, 02:58 PM)AndrewCrossett Wrote:  STRANGERS IN PARADISE by Terry Moore (Abstract Studios). Haven't read this one yet. I read the first couple of TPB's years ago but fell away from it for some reason and have been meaning to get back to it.

Was there a SiP FCBD issue? I didn't see one and definitely would have grabbed it if there was.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

Equality is not a loss.
(05-11-2018, 02:08 AM)JBK405 Wrote:  Was there a SiP FCBD issue?  I didn't see one and definitely would have grabbed it if there was.

Yes... I think it might have just been the first issue of the new series, though?

This is it:

https://www.freecomicbookday.com/Catalog/JAN180013
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
Huh, my shop didn't have that one. I already got the issue when it came out, but I'm surprised the free issue wasn't on the table.

Equality is not a loss.
It would have been better if they'd done a self-contained story, since this issue means nothing to anyone who hasn't read all the books so far.

Aye, if it is just issue #1 of the new series then it does pick up from the old series storyline, and might be hard for newcomers to get into. Maybe not, though, since Terry Moore's style gives a lot of depth.

Equality is not a loss.
After finishing the various books I picked up, the three I thought were the best were:

The Power Rangers
The Mall
Lady Mechanika

I don't think I'll pick up the Power Rangers because I am just not into the franchise, but I have to say that is was the best full on written story.

I am thinking about getting The Mall but haven't made a decision yet.

I do get the Lady Mechanika books already but the original story "Two" in the FCBD book was pretty interesting.