Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Dr. Who Thread
Well, we've always had one in some form or another, I haven't created a thread yet, so Dr Who, discuss.

Oh, and Bert, I'm perfectly capable of trolling my own threads without your help, see?

So there! Tongue
[Image: 76561198170769059.png]
[Image: Crossforge.png]
who has been "trolling" threads?

I didn't start a Dr. Who thread because I'm way behind. .still have only seen the season Premiere (and thought Clara came across as a bitch)

surprised Stressfactor didn't start one yet tho.
"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

[Image: tumblr_m85q1tjHv91r2yx0wo1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_ll2yymSfI51qcyo5eo1_400.gif]
I have a confession.

I don't like the new season. Capaldi's Doctor seems to have lost all ability to relate to the species he's been protecting for the better part of a millennium.

Also, I just don't like Clara. I've tried. I like Martha better and Martha was all moony and annoying. Smith's likability made up for Clara being unlikeable, but Capaldi is unlikable too. Two unlikeables mean that the kid is annoyed on Saturday night when I really don't care to stop binge watching White Collar on Netflix to watch Doctor Who.

I miss Russell T. Davies.
(09-30-2014, 06:55 PM)bert Wrote:  who has been "trolling" threads?

I didn't start a Dr. Who thread because I'm way behind. .still have only seen the season Premiere (and thought Clara came across as a bitch)

surprised Stressfactor didn't start one yet tho.

I needed an excuse to post Japanese Dr Who, and blaming you always works.

(09-30-2014, 09:35 PM)sk716 Wrote:  I have a confession.

I don't like the new season. Capaldi's Doctor seems to have lost all ability to relate to the species he's been protecting for the better part of a millennium.

I have a confession, I stopped watching after the David Tenant run. I just can't really get into the new Dr Who all that much.
I enjoyed Amy & Rory a ton, loved 11 and didn't have a ton of problems with Moffat the first couple of seasons he was showrunner. But after the Clara inside the Dalek episode, it's been all downhill for me, save the big episode with the War Doctor.

Capaldi is fine. The actress who plays Clara is fine. But the character bores the crap out of me. Last episode, I was so bored, I went back to writing. :Confusedigh::
[Image: 51xT5ozxP5L._AA160_.jpg]

http://amzn.to/YHTYHK releases 10/7/2014.

The cure they desperately need just rose from the ashes of evil…

I think this season has actually made Clara a character instead of a plot device. She's been the main protagonist in at least two of the stories this season and has gone from being a sexy mystery to a fairly well developed person.

I'm also loving Capaldi's slightly insane take on the character. I think Moffat has regained a lot of his earlier form.
(09-30-2014, 10:46 PM)Tyr Wrote:  I have a confession, I stopped watching after the David Tenant run.  I just can't really get into the new Dr Who all that much.

so. . . stake claiming then?

[Image: stake-your-claim-promo.gif]

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

[Image: tumblr_m85q1tjHv91r2yx0wo1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_ll2yymSfI51qcyo5eo1_400.gif]
(10-01-2014, 03:06 AM)bert Wrote:  so. . . stake claiming then?

Only if a Silver mine is involved.

I got no problems talking classic Dr such as my first exposure to the show that is Peter Cullen or the Tom Baker years, or the Christopher Eccleston run for something a little more contemporary, I liked his run on Dr. Who. I might give the new Dr a chance, after some recommendation from Linkara's partner in crime, Nash, but I got so many other shows to catch up on.
I've yet to watch The Caretaker (though I've heard it was boring as all hell, so I'm tempted to just skip it), but the latest season has been hit or miss so far. I do enjoy Capaldi's Doctor, and Clare seems tolerable (I've barely seen the later half of Matt Smith's run, so I'm probably not the best judge of her overall character).

Speaking of, I've been super-behind on binging the rest of the series. I bought the series 1-6 DVD giftset two years ago, and I was following the revival from the beginning (which is how I became a fan in the first place), but life got in the way and I couldn't find the time to continue. I may start back up later his fall, now that things are calming down on my end.
(10-01-2014, 08:09 AM)Tyr Wrote:  
(10-01-2014, 03:06 AM)bert Wrote:  so. . . stake claiming then?

Only if a Silver mine is involved.

I got no problems talking classic Dr such as my first exposure to the show that is Peter Cullen or the Tom Baker years, or the Christopher Eccleston run for something a little more contemporary, I liked his run on Dr. Who.  I might give the new Dr a chance, after some recommendation from Linkara's partner in crime, Nash, but I got so many other shows to catch up on.

I haven't watched enough of Capaldi's Dr. to really comment (tho a good first impression, even if Clara left me cold).

but Matt Smith's Dr -- particularly the interactions with Amy/Rory?. . . you've missed some GREAT stuff.

(10-01-2014, 12:46 PM)bert Wrote:  I haven't watched enough of Capaldi's Dr. to really comment (tho a good first impression, even if Clara left me cold).

but Matt Smith's Dr -- particularly the interactions with Amy/Rory?. . . you've missed some GREAT stuff.

Actually, now that I think about it, I do remember some of the Matt Smith Stuff, the first Episode, and the Weeping Angels episode mainly. But I stopped watching after the underground lizard people one. Where Amy forgets all about her boyfriend in the end of it. Didn't care for that one bit.
Then you missed the whole arc of the Boy Who Waited, which was one of my very favorite things Moffat has ever done.

(10-01-2014, 05:12 PM)Corrina Wrote:  Then you missed the whole arc of the Boy Who Waited, which was one of my very favorite things Moffat has ever done.

agreed. . and what's funny/sad, is THAT storyline addresses Tyr's issue!

(10-01-2014, 08:27 PM)bert Wrote:  
(10-01-2014, 05:12 PM)Corrina Wrote:  Then you missed the whole arc of the Boy Who Waited, which was one of my very favorite things Moffat has ever done.

agreed. . and what's funny/sad, is THAT storyline addresses Tyr's issue!

Yeah, it's not like he stays forgotten. Also, if you miss out on the rest of Amy and Rory, you also miss out on Rory's dad!
Up until the most recent episode, I haven't been all that impressed with the stories being told. I like Capaldi's performance as The Doctor but the stories left something to be desired. The "Into the Dalek" episode was a great idea that didn't get executed well enough to my mind.
I see someone mentioned my name....

I hadn't started a thread yet because it took a little time for the board to get populated.  I was waiting.  Now that there are more people here though.....

KILL THE MOON

I'm.... still deciding on this one.

One thing I can say in its' favor is that in many ways it felt like an older-series episode.  Continuing the 'Third Doctor' vibe that's going on here -- "Doctor Who and the Silurians".  In that episode the Doctor again struggled against a desire to protect a potentially dangerous species against a fearful humanity.... and in that one he largely failed because the Brig blew the Silurians up -- something it took the Doctor quite a while to forgive the Brig for.  

One thing I can say....  Clara's anger seemed entirely too forced.  

In defense of the Doctor seeming to 'forget' what he's learned about humanity -- I think, perhaps, it's deliberate.  Just as he mused that his older face was perhaps his subconscious trying to tell him something; just as saying to Clara that he's not her boyfriend -- and that the mistake was HIS not hers -- this version of the Doctor seems to be trying to distance himself from humanity.  Why?  I don't know yet... but I get the feeling that there's a reason behind it.

Perhaps because he lingered so long in his last body -- perhaps because, until the last minute, he thought he had reached the end -- no more regenerations.  And sure, now he's got a whole new regenerative cycle BUT he's had a taste of ultimate mortality.  He had to face death -- TRUE death -- this last time and perhaps it put in a new sense of fear and/or healthy respect.  Perhaps he's more keen to try to set humanity on a path where he feels they won't NEED him if something does, ultimately happen to him.  Because he's STILL the last of the Time Lords -- and the universe skated very close to the point of being Time Lord-less.  Perhaps, because of his near-death experience he doesn't want anyone to get truly close to him again and so he does everything he can to push them away and hold them at arm's length.  You can admire the rose from a distance but you can't hold it in your hand because there are too many sharp thorns.....
I loved this episode. Best of the season so far in my opinion. But yeah, Clara's anger seemed to be at the very least misunderstood. I think she was mad because he left her feeling helpless and didn't make the decision himself as opposed to the reasons she said she was angry.
It was a good episode but I don't know why Clara was so angry at the end. It seemed like they're just leading up to her eventually leaving.

Do love that the Doctor lied. (Or probably did.)

i'm trying to catch up. . . I've STILL only watched the first episode Sad

Time is NOT on my side!

(10-05-2014, 03:13 AM)Corrina Wrote:  It was a good episode but I don't know why Clara was so angry at the end. It seemed like they're just leading up to her eventually leaving.

Do love that the Doctor lied. (Or probably did.)

I think there's a very real possibility that this is one of those cases where this is the first time the Doctor came up against a situation he couldn't influence and so he lied about what was going on and left. At the end on the beach, he got a little weird before he gave them the very general run down of what happened, though, almost like that version of the timeline asserted itself and those memories/knowledge were back or accessible.