Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tabletop gaming thread!
Whether it be with pen & paper, boards, collectible cards or whatever else, a lot of us are tabletop fans. At the least, we talk about it a lot, so why not make an official thread? Talk about news and events, favorite games, past anecdotes, and just have fun. Smile

This past Sunday, I went down to the new-ish game store I mentioned a while ago, and got to meet their Pathfinder group. Lovely bunch of friendly and helpful people, so joining them was pretty easy. Right now, I'll be setting up as a Halfling Warpriest (since it makes the most plot sense, where the group is in their setting right now), and I should be starting from next week. I also got to try Warhammner 40k for the first time, and I was pretty surprised at how naturally it came for me (I'm a strategy game fan, particularly with Starcraft). The other guy played as the Chaos Legion, and I ended up with the Space Marines.

I was also tempted to take a booster of the new XY Roaring Skies expansion for the Pokemon TCG, buuuuut I was low on cash and Fresh Romance came first. Tongue

I'm going back again today to check out their D&D Encounters/Adventurers League group.
There is a Warhammer store in Glasgow, which carrier the Games Workshop name for years but changed recently to the name of the game rather than the parent company.

They have loads of Warhammer and Warhammer 40K stuff and I was thinking of getting a 40K starter set. I'm don't think I really have room for a vast collection of figures and stuff though sadly so I might hold off as I can barely move in my house as it is as I have far too much stuff.

The people I knew a while back that were into Warhammer and D&D aren't here any more so I don't have anyone local to play against either so it is causing a problem although I think the store do have little events where you can play and learn to paint and suchlike.

I might get a starter set just to see what it is like though. It is £65 for the basic set.
Glad to hear that you had a good time Rozen and found a Pathfinder group.

Pathfinder groups (especially the Pathfinder Society crowd) tend to be super nice and inclusive. They are using books from a company that's very LGTB friendly.

They made a point very early on to include characters that are LGTB in their modules. In their very first adventure of Rise of the Runelord,one of their first modules ever, they described the people in a small town that the players would interact with and among them was a male paladin that was said to be dating this bard in town and when you would later get to the bard description, it also said male and said he was dating the paladin.

Apparently, when this came out, Paizo Publishing got a lot of emails saying "I think you made a mistake there...." and they answered "Nope, no mistake there. we meant it like that". Most people had no issues with it but a few did and said it was going over the top, trying to politicize the game (Of course, cause being gay is all about politics...), that they couldn't now play the game with their nephews (Cause having super minor gay characters in a story meant that of course, the GM would play them as having sex all the time in front of everyone...) and so on.

Paizo just told them that if they didn't like it, they could just change the gender of one of the character since they were super minor characters that didn't even play a role in the story or, if they were really mad at them for including LGTB characters in there, to go buy any other roleplaying games since there's quite a few out there.

Even D&D with it's recent 5th edition has a few paragraph that explains how LGTB characters do exist in their setting and even gives ways to explain the origin of trans characters (without the use of gender bending spells too!).
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
As I've said before when we've gone over tabletop gaming, my experience there is extremely limited. I played two games of D&D back in High School (Or maybe Middle School?) and was neither very good nor very enthusiastic, so nothing came of it. Since then for me it's mainly been video games. However, even though it's never quite been my 'thing', I've always still been enthusiastic about the concept and experience of tabletop gaming, and keep meaning to do something with it.

It's definitely a better experience for interpersonal contact; face-to-face instead of a voice over an internet connection, actually feeling something in your hands, etc. They can definitely build great communities there through the thing itself, rather than video games or comics or such, where communities have to be built around them (Do you get what I mean there?).

My comic shop was sold last summer (Wow, it's almost been a year. That is actually very surprising) to an owner who actually runs a primarily-gaming store, so we've had some shifts and changes, including some more gaming stuff. I still haven't dived in, but there's potential....
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
Pathfinder even has a canonical same-sex couple among their iconics (Merisiel the rogue and Kyra the cleric).

Like most people who grew up in the 70's, I first heard about D&D from the lurid news stories... some guy going crazy and killing his fellow players while LARPing in the steam tunnels under the university, and stuff like that. I was very interested in fantasy literature from a very early age... I had a storybook as a small child that had the first chapter of "The Hobbit" in it, and my dad (a big Tolkien fan from back in the 60's) would read it to me even before I was old enough to read. The illustrations were goofy... the dwarves all had pastel-colored beards, and Bilbo had rabbit feet, but I thought it was the coolest thing. My dad would also show me the maps from his special hardcover first-edition replica that had Tolkien's own illustrations in it. I got pretty addicted to fantasy. I can remember when I was 12 years old, sitting in front of the TV for six or eight hours straight hoping that the commercial for the animated "Lord of the Rings" movie would come on.

I'm probably one of the few people of my generation who can say their grandmother and aunt got them interested in gaming. My aunt in California, knowing I was into fantasy, mailed me a newspaper clipping about D&D. The writer obviously had a pretty hazy idea of the game. The article said that only geniuses could understand the rules, and you needed a personal computer to play, and if you wanted you could play a samurai penguin named Bob. Then my grandmother said my cousins in Florida had been playing while she was down there visiting them.

So, then I saw an article in my local paper about the new gaming and comics store that opened in my town... Fat Cat Comics, which opened in 1976 and is still open (although it's moved twice since then). The article said people would be waiting in line already when the store owner showed up in the morning.

So I got on my bike and headed over there. I got a copy of the 1st edition Monster Manual, which had just been published and cost $8, IIRC. The Players Handbook and Dungeon Masters Guide hadn't come out yet, so all those weird numbers and statistics were just fascinating mysteries to me. I remember trying to infer my own half-assed combat rules just from looking at those stats. I also picked up some loose generic lead figures... a cleric, an archer, a dwarf, and a couple others. I still have them somewhere. Not long after I bought the Basic D&D boxed set... blue box with a dragon on the cover. Those rules were enough to get you up to 3rd level. They also came with really cheap plastic dice that eventually became spherical after a year or two of heavy use... and my first D&D adventure module, In Search of the Unknown, which took you through the dungeon Quasqueton. (I didn't know it then, but Quasqueton was named after a town in Iowa.)

I spent thousands of dollars on D&D stuff throughout 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions. I even had an article published in Dragon magazine (issue #202). I became a huge fan of the Forgotten Realms setting, and one time when I was unemployed for several months I made a complete cross-referenced index to Dragon and a complete bibliography of all Forgotten Realms material... including all the articles and online columns.

Then 4th edition came along. I'd had no problem making the switch to 2nd or 3rd editions, but 4th edition blew monkey balls. They also ruined the Forgotten Realms by killing off most of the characters, scrambling the map, and jumping 100 years into the future.

The Pathfinder game came around at the same time, and after 30 years I jumped ship from D&D. I've been playing Pathfinder ever since (well, more reading than playing). I got the 5th edition D&D PHB and, while it looks like a big improvement over 4th edition, it doesn't make me want to switch from Pathfinder.

Anyway, my favorite character was my female elven ranger Edala, who was 10th level when I last played her. She was based on two illustrations: the frontispiece from the 2nd edition PHB, and a cover from one of the Sword & Sorceress fiction anthologies.

[Image: edala3.jpg] [Image: edala2.jpg]

I wonder if there are enough gamers on this board to get a play-by-post game going here?
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
A tabletop RPG can be a deal breaker sometimes with really dumbass players or stupid GM's.

Some GM's still go into a game thinking that's it's a me versus them scenario, which it really isn't. Yes, in a way, it's the person's role to give players adversaries and challenges but it's mostly about what I would compare to writing a play together. Getting main characters killed left and right for no other reason than it makes you feel that you are "winninig" a game that's not about winning is missing the whole point of a fun group gathering.

And then, there's the douchey players. The one who will play a thief character just cause he wants to steal anything that isn't his. He'll steal from other players, every merchants we cross and usually gets everyone in trouble every chances he gets. That type will usually also want to play a evil aligned character which for him means stabbing the first guy he meets in the street just cause A) it's funny and B) I wanted his money.

There's also the ones who will play a paladin and always get the entire party killed because of really bad decisions. Yes, you play a character that's basically a holy knight full of virtue and all BUT stepping in a country where say, slavery is a common thing, and starting a fight with every guard you see because slavery goes against your belief is stupid and will get everyone killed in the first 15 minutes. Quietly start a rebellion, start buying weapons and armors for the oppressed people to use, smuggle some slaves out of the country, anything than just starting a one man war against an entire country and dragging your friends into it.

(05-27-2015, 03:55 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  There's also the ones who will play a paladin and always get the entire party killed because of really bad decisions. Yes, you play a character that's basically a holy knight full of virtue and all BUT stepping in a country where say, slavery is a common thing, and starting a fight with every guard you see because slavery goes against your belief is stupid and will get everyone killed in the first 15 minutes. Quietly start a rebellion, start buying weapons and armors for the oppressed people to use, smuggle some slaves out of the country, anything than just starting a one man war against an entire country and dragging your friends into it.

So, a Michael Carpenter as opposed to Dudley Do-Right.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

Equality is not a loss.
(05-27-2015, 04:05 PM)JBK405 Wrote:  So, a Michael Carpenter as opposed to Dudley Do-Right.

Exactly, that's why I said in the Chat thread how much Jim Butcher got how a paladin should act. Yes, if he steps into a place where it's filled with bad guys, he or she won't like it and he or she won't be be making friends there but they aren't going to start a fight with everyone that can only result in getting yourself killed.

(05-27-2015, 03:55 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  There's also the ones who will play a paladin and always get the entire party killed because of really bad decisions. Yes, you play a character that's basically a holy knight full of virtue and all BUT stepping in a country where say, slavery is a common thing, and starting a fight with every guard you see because slavery goes against your belief is stupid and will get everyone killed in the first 15 minutes. Quietly start a rebellion, start buying weapons and armors for the oppressed people to use, smuggle some slaves out of the country, anything than just starting a one man war against an entire country and dragging your friends into it.

I'm now imagining Frank Castle as a Paladin.

...hey, he was a holy warrior at one point.
One of the most fun I've had with a paladin was my 3rd edition Ravenloft campaign character Catherine Brumfield (Yeah, I know the name isn't original but Ravenloft has a more "real world" feel to it and Catherine wasn't my name back then so it was fun to have people call me that Smile ).

Catherine was from a small and patriarchal noble family who's as a child, had what the family thought was an imaginary friend but in reality was the ghost of one of their ancestor that was a paladin ( I was using the Haunted Ravenloft feat ). When she became a young woman, she went to the family crypt at the request of her ghostly ancestor and opened his tomb to gather his old sword and what was left of his very destroyed armor.

Since Ravenloft has more of a Gothic Horror feel and a lot of it set in a more renaissance era, I had this really cool looking paladin that wore piecemeal old timey armor and longsword combined with a flintlock pistol at her belt, a tricorn hat and an American revolution type longcoat. I loved that one arm was just the longcoat and the other had armor over the coat and a big metal gauntlet. She was very much the black sheep of the family who didn't approve of a noble lady going out to solve other's problems and go play in the mud.

Now I want to go play a Ravenloft campaign again Smile

(05-27-2015, 04:09 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  Exactly, that's why I said in the Chat thread how much Jim Butcher got how a paladin should act. Yes, if he steps into a place where it's filled with bad guys, he or she won't like it and he or she won't be be making friends there but they aren't going to start a fight with everyone that can only result in getting yourself killed.

Just wait until they start playing Arcana (Seriously, they start gaming later in the series. Harry, of course, objects to the way the game depicts magic).

Equality is not a loss.
I'm into the fourth novel right now and I remember Billy asking Harry to join him to play some RPG game with his friends.

Gotta love Billy. a kinda werewolf that also happens to be a huge geek. He gave Harry a Star Wars poster for crying out loud.

Also, Jim Butcher brought something that as a tabletop RPG player terrifies me........Fairies!

Yeah, laugh but some of the hardest fight I've had in Ravenloft and Pathfinder are fairies. They are strong, smart, sneaky, tricksters, immune to a whole lot of crap, they gang up on you, have a lot of innate magical powers.

Really, I hear fey or fairy in a RPG and I get nervous.

(05-27-2015, 04:23 PM)Rozen Wrote:  I'm now imagining Frank Castle as a Paladin.

...hey, he was a holy warrior at one point.

I never seen the Frank is an angel story and hear it's terrible but I'll admit I would love to just check out the story just to say I've read it.

And yeah, some people will play Paladins exactly like the Punisher, which is not how you should do it. At least, not when you are in a group which will pretty much ruin the entire group dynamic.

Heck, right now, I have a character in Pathfinder that's an Inquisitor and she's more She-Hulk than Frank Castle.

(05-27-2015, 07:49 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  I never seen the Frank is an angel story and hear it's terrible but I'll admit I would love to just check out the story just to say I've read it.

And yeah, some people will play Paladins exactly like the Punisher, which is not how you should do it. At least, not when you are in a group which will pretty much ruin the entire group dynamic.

Heck, right now, I have a character in Pathfinder that's an Inquisitor and she's more She-Hulk than Frank Castle.

But that would imply that the Punisher isn't a team player. Would the Marvel Now Thunderbolts lie to you? Wink
(05-27-2015, 09:36 PM)Rozen Wrote:  But that would imply that the Punisher isn't a team player. Would the Marvel Now Thunderbolts lie to you? Wink

I only read one issue of that one and the main part I remember was Flash Thompson as Venom turning his chest symbol red to fit with the rest of the team, Deadpool making fun of it and Thompson explaining to him to concept of military uniforms to make sure that the dumbest member of the unit wouldn't shoot an ally by mistake (While pointing at Deadpool).

I'll admit that made me chuckle Smile

(05-27-2015, 09:46 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  I only read one issue of that one and the main part I remember was Flash Thompson as Venom turning his chest symbol red to fit with the rest of the team, Deadpool making fun of it and Thompson explaining to him to concept of military uniforms to make sure that the dumbest member of the unit wouldn't shoot an ally by mistake (While pointing at Deadpool).

I'll admit that made me chuckle Smile

That logic kinda fails when you're fighting supervillains wearing bright red targets all over yourself.
Been playing D&D since 1980 and still love it. The group I run is now into Pathfinder because I moved from 3rd ed D&D to Pathfinder and I'm the DM. Pathfinder will eventually crumble away to a new edition but we're still playing the hell out of it until it does.

My group plays every other Sunday for the most part. Since most of us have families and kids we play using Skype or Google group chat. I keep my HD cam pointed at the map so me and the players at my house are rarely seen but it seems to work really well overall. Just not a huge fan of the computer maps. Although I did see a great thing where someone took a projector projected the map in scale on a table and the players played with that which was awesome. But even that looked like a lot f set-up and a baseline HD projector start around $300.

I'm a gender bender often when actually playing as opposed to DMing. I totally believe I get away with more role-playing as a female than a male. And a number of my fantasy heroes are female with Eowyn leading the way. With my friend's help I made up a charging multi-class cavalier who's Eowyn - from the animated Return of the King - whipping off her helmet and giving a quick speech before each charge she makes. Currently at 3rd lvl with her and if she scores a critical hit can achieve 10d6+12 damage or something ridiculous like that. Of course, I haven't crit'ed yet because I need to roll a 20. Sigh...

I tend to play extremes as those are the most interesting. I had a bubble-headed blond cleric of Llira (Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy party goddess) who could bench press 500+ pounds but still looked great and not like a bodybuilder. Gotta love fantasy! And I also became known for my "Nazi bastard' male wizard. He wasn't really a Nazi but he was blond and blue and the game said the Seoul believed they were the best of the realm - unlike the Backlunish scum. Smile

An early forerunner of Pathfinder Society which is a nation wide campaign was Living City which was around in 2nd ed D&D. I wrote 6 scenarios which played across the western hemisphere and one was the featured Living City event at Gen Con which is the top gaming con in America. Yep, I'm quite proud of that. Smile

On most alternating Sundays instead of D&D most of the same crew gets together for Magic the Gathering. I got into Magic during the first expansion which was Arabian Knights. So some of my cards are pretty valuable. I think my top card goes for $300.

There are some games I would like to try such as the Star Wars space ship game but my days off are Sunday & Wednesday so my gaming is limited by my hours - 2nd shift.

Still, I love gaming because I can use so many of my talents such as: drawing - character portraits, writing - DMing & creating campaigns, and role-playing - self explanatory.

I've considered running some Pathfinder Society games on-line for board members but it would be limited and have to be on a Wednesday night - like maybe once a month.

I also love Axis & Allies board game - original not all the expanded stuff although the game can be a bit predictable.
Had a lot of fun with the D&D League group tonight! Some very cool people all around. Smile

We're trying to get through a castle right now, and we're not really doing too well. So far, the group has already croaked three times before I showed up. Luckily, My druid was able to track about and find a potential opening for an ambush plan. We'll see how it goes next week.

Also tried out the Call of Cthulhu LCG. :3
I LOVE Call of Cthulhu.

It's very different than your typical RPG but if you want to play a one shot scenario, I would recommend Call of Cthulhu.

In this, you play a very regular person and instead of classes, you have a career which can pretty much be anything.

With the right GM, it can be a super creepy game. Imagine knowing you are pretty much in a horror game and have to go down into a basement with only a flashlight and a gun that you aren't sure will actually do anything other than make the thing downstairs more angry at you.