Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tabletop gaming thread!
Call of Cthulhu always had that 'awesome' vibe for me even though I never played it. But as you said Lady-Hawkeye, I've heard the GM and players have t be into it. And by that I mean 'roll players' versus 'role-players' might not enjoy Cthulhu.
I believe the term for those folks are munchkins. They have a popular card game named after them for a reason.
(05-28-2015, 02:11 AM)DungeonmasterJim Wrote:  Call of Cthulhu always had that 'awesome' vibe for me even though I never played it. But as you said Lady-Hawkeye, I've heard the GM and players have t be into it. And by that I mean 'roll players' versus 'role-players' might not enjoy Cthulhu.

If someone enjoys playing in a more fantasy like game because they enjoy killing loads and loads of creature with a sword or spells then yep, Call of Cthulhu is probably not for you.

The game puts a lot of importance on investigation and your characters are very squishy. You usually have 10-12 hit points that never go up and a simple pistol will do something like 1d10 damage so it can be a very deadly game.

It's a very different situation where say, in Pathfinder, you hope that your character will make it to epic levels and basically be a god walking the earth while in Call of Cthulhu, you just play a regular person who hopes to be able to quietly retire with most of your sanity left, content in knowing that you have pushed back the end of the world for at least another day.
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
Also, Call of Cthulhu has one of the biggest campaign I have ever seen.

Beyond the Mountains of Madness.

It's pretty much the size of a phone book (I own the beautiful 672 pages French version of it from the Sans Detour company. Their books are a little bit more pricey but they are so better looking than the original American printing from the Chaosium company).

It's a sequel of sort to the HP Lovecraft stories At the Mountains of Madness where some scientists went to Antarctica in 1931 and either died or a very few returned half mad, not wanting to talk about what they saw, only mentioning alien fossils. You play a character that's part of a second expedition in 1933 that wants to find out what actually happened to the first group.

That campaign is nuts. It has deadly alien creatures, 1930's Nazis in zeppelins who are also curious to see what happened, a saboteur. You are stuck in a very harsh and unforgiving frozen wasteland and aren't sure who you can trust. If you enjoyed the 1982 movie the Thing or even something like Indiana Jones, you would love that campaign.

Another fun setting for the Call of Cthulhu game is Delta Green.

If you like the X-Files, then that game is for you. (People think that Delta Green copied the X-Files but technically, the game was published a month before the X-Files pilot came to be ).

In this, you are a member of a secret organization called Delta Green. This organization was first created after aliens crashed in Roswell New Mexico. They had the job to investigate the cases dealing with the supernatural and aliens. In the 60's, a mission went super wrong, costing the life of many innocents and another organization called Majestic 12 (who are super shady and have contacts with the aliens) had Delta Green shut down.

But the organization kept going on, except now, it's hidden inside the American Government. In this, you play anything from a FBI or CIA agent to a forest ranger or even mailman that also happens to be illegally part of Delta Green and you investigate cases that even the government hasn't cleared you for. You can't really call for back up since Delta Green isn't supposed to exist anymore. If the government would ever find out that you are part of it, they probably would have someone from Majestic 12 come by and have you killed.

It's a much more modern setting but again, your characters are very squishy. You might be good with a gun and have access to Delta Green gear but if you want to dispose of the crazy sorcerer who's calling forth demons or aliens that have taken control of a small town, you'll have to use your brain.

Edit: Oops, looking at my Delta Green book, I had forgotten that Delta Green wasn't created from the Roswell incident but from the 1928 government raid in the Lovecraft story The Shadow over Innsmouth. Led by J. Edgar Hoover, the team fought and destroyed the Esoteric Order of Dagon, a cult that had frog like beings named Deep Ones.

I have some friends that are huge into board games and the husband worked at Hasbro reviewing games sent in by people trying to sell their own creations.

They had a Call of Cthulhu game that I've forgotten the name of. In it your team investigates several name locations in Cthulhu and retrieve artifacts in order to shut the gate or defeat the demon. Even the creators of the game told my friends that the winning percentage is 30% or less. When I was there and we won although 2 of our 5 person team went insane. The wife then boxed up the game and said 'get rid of it' because they had played it like five times before finally winning. Smile
I have that game.

It's Call of Cthulhu, Arkham Horror and it's really fun. But yeah, the chances of winning aren't huge. lol

It's already a big board game but you can add tons and tons of expansions to it and it becomes so massive you need something the size of a big kitchen table just to play on it.

I believe JBK also played it quite a few times.

Huh, I hit another one of those wordblocks trying to write this post and I couldn't peg which exact word (Or combination of words) hit the block. Curious.

To summarize: Yes, Arkham Horor is a huge game, and even bigger with add-ons. Fun, but frustrating.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
It took me about half an hour to start that thread on the Duggar story and I had to change my post over and over until I finally found that the troublesome word that was blocking everything was "underage".

Kinda difficult to write a thread about child molestation and trying to find THE word that the system blocker won't see as inappropriate Smile

At least it keeps out the SPAM.

Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
I guess if we're talking tabletop games, I'm not technically cheating if I mention I used to be a massive fan of Subbuteo, the table top soccer game where you flick football players mounted on little counters and try to score goals. It is a pretty fun game and was massively popular for years.

It went out of production for a little while but has made a couple of returns. The current sets are very different from the older sets and it used to be possible to get over 700 different team kits and new ones were frequently released but that number has dwindled to a much lower amount. It IS still possible to get Rangers so I'm happy!

[Image: oldstadium1.jpg]
(05-28-2015, 10:34 PM)Weeto Wrote:  [Image: oldstadium1.jpg]

Wow, that game gets a 10 on looks alone.

(05-28-2015, 11:23 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  Wow, that game gets a 10 on looks alone.

I'll be honest and say most people either play with no stadium or only one or two sections. I have only one small stand to be honest but I do have fencing and a scoreboard as I had a deluxe set from 1990 and a 1996 smaller set.

You only really need the pitch, two teams, two goals and a table (or be careful on the floor as I have a double amputee Scotland player that I sat on playing against my cousin!) and it is a fun game.

There are local, national and even world championships in the game and it used to have a massive competive scene. I remember televised events going back a bit.

It is a pretty fun game but a bit expensive as my first starter set was £50 back in 1990 although it was the biggest single set available at the time and had a scoreboard, fencing, players, goalies, throw in men, referees, balls, cameramen and other staff and a few other items.. I paid about £20 for the slightly newer set which was more basic.

I know it isn't an RPG type game but it is a hugely popular game and is played on tabletops so it has a slightly different following but can be compared on some levels. There are enthusiasts that paint custom kits and paint up their stadiums and equipment too.
I guess the closest that Canadians have to this is the hockey table game that probably every kid in this country had a version of.

And you can tell this one is Canadian because it has a freaking beer fountain attached to it. Just add a poutine dispenser and it's the perfect Canadian invention ever Smile

(05-28-2015, 11:36 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  I guess the closest that Canadians have to this is the hockey table game that probably every kid in this country had a version of.

And you can tell this one is Canadian because it has a freaking beer fountain attached to it. Just add a poutine dispenser and it's the perfect Canadian invention ever Smile

That is more like table football / foosball.

Subbuteo is generally seen as a much more skillful game.
(05-28-2015, 11:34 PM)Weeto Wrote:  (or be careful on the floor as I have a double amputee Scotland player that I sat on playing against my cousin!)

Bah, that won't stop a Scotsman, laddie. Not as long as he can hear the pipes!

So how does this game work? You flick the player at the ball and try to knock it into the goal, while the other player flicks his men and tries to block?
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
Gotta admit, Weeto, that game looks intriguing.
Got to meet the store's Pokemon League last night. A few key people didn't make it, but we still got to play a few games (which I was still pretty decent at). We couldn't do too much that night, though, so we got to try out the Naruto Shippuden Deckbuilding Game. I had some experience with deck-building games set before (I've played the DC one, Netrunner and Call of Cthulhu), so I was somewhat easier for me than some of the others to get into. It's...not really what I expected, though; instead of head-to-head fighting, you basically "buy" point cards and characters from a larger deck until you get the most, or something (we never finished, so we didn't know, haha).
(05-29-2015, 12:41 AM)AndrewCrossett Wrote:  
Weeto dateline='<a href="tel:1432856095">1432856095</a>' Wrote:  (or be careful on the floor as I have a double amputee Scotland player that I sat on playing against my cousin!)

Bah, that won't stop a Scotsman, laddie. Not as long as he can hear the pipes!

So how does this game work? You flick the player at the ball and try to knock it into the goal, while the other player flicks his men and tries to block?

Pretty much. The goalies are on sticks which tuck under the goal net. One thing about the game is that there is a shooting line like field hockey, so you can't take shots from one end of the field to the other. It means you need to pass until you get near goal rather than blasting the ball 80 yards (in scale) up the field.
Here is a 1998 Subbuteo ad showing the game being played. I forgot there were special men for corner kicks and throw ins.

http://youtu.be/iII4hIKYLbE