Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tabletop gaming thread!
My D&D group did...slightly better tonight!

I had to back out early the other night, so I missed a certain elf of ours continuously screwing up their rolls and nearly teamkilling several of us with arrows. We did get a little ways into the castle and took out a were-boar. Now I'm imagining a dude oinking at the moon, and I cannot stop laughing.

Earlier on Sunday, my Pathfinder group took out a giant lobster. I really didn't want to kill the poor thing, but then everybody else was hungry and readied their blades. It was in pain and just wanted to know the way home...

RIP, lobster. ;_;
(06-04-2015, 04:24 AM)Rozen Wrote:  My D&D group did...slightly better tonight!

I had to back out early the other night, so I missed a certain elf of ours continuously screwing up their rolls and nearly teamkilling several of us with arrows. We did get a little ways into the castle and took out a were-boar. Now I'm imagining a dude oinking at the moon, and I cannot stop laughing.

Earlier on Sunday, my Pathfinder group took out a giant lobster. I really didn't want to kill the poor thing, but then everybody else was hungry and readied their blades. It was in pain and just wanted to know the way home...

RIP, lobster. ;_;

I've never been able to bring myself to kill innocent animals in game, XP or no XP. I remember when I was playing the first level of the first Tomb Raider game. There's a place where you see a bear down in a pit. I guess you're supposed to shoot the bear, but I wouldn't... I just jumped over the pit. I only killed the wolves because they attacked me.

Which edition of D&D are you playing?

I'm curious as to how many people on this board are familiar with the Pathfinder or D&D 3.5 rules.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
A little over a week ago, I had my most recent Pathfinder session and it was let's say interesting. Not a lot of fighting but pretty cool.

We are playing the Kingmaker campaign in which the characters basically are sent by a country into a nearby "no man's land" that's been contested by all surrounding nations. filled with with monsters, bandits and such and we have to not only clear the land for it to be settled (a task that has been tried and failed many times) but then we are given titles to the land and have to rule it.

In this, I play Kane Moonknight, a half elf Magus (a fighter/mage class for those who don't play Pathfinder). He's the bastard son of one of the noble family who basically sent him on this suicidal mission to get him out of the way and stop the gossips.

So after we settled the land and were given the task to rule it, we were given a choice of what part to pick in our new government. There's a choice between Ruler, Councilor, General, Grand Diplomat, High Priest, Magister, Marshal, Royal Assassin, Spymaster, Treasurer and Warden.

I decided that my skills would make me a pretty good Marshal and it did.....for a while. Problems started when we had to deal with a wandering bard who started to talk really badly about us in our little country. Spreading lies, making people hate us and so on. Our paladin ruler tried to talk with him but he turned everything we would say against us. We even had a small revolt.

By this time, I had enough, the party mage and I took the bard aside, told him we would show him the city to make him see how nice we are. Basically, the mage managed to charm the guy who admitted he was sent by another country not too far away and cause trouble so that it would make it easier for them to eventually invade us. At this point, I had enough and basically murdered the bard and the next day, the mage used a spell to change herself to look as the bard and told people he had changed his mind, that we where good people and he would leave now. At the same time, I was busy cutting off the head of the real bard's corpse and pretty much mailed it to the ruler who sent that guy to us as a fair warning. Since we knew our own Paladin ruler would not approve of this, we didn't tell him any of this.

So, almost a year later, one of our border town was attacked by said country who was really angry at us for me sending them a box with a head in it to them. We lost the first fight there since it was only the mage, the summoner and myself to defend it vs a group of giants lead by a wizard. It took the entire party to get the town back and that's where the paladin and other party members learned of my little murder a while back (the players already knew I should say but played as if they didn't).

Basically, I was put on a trial of sorts (that was the last session) and lost my title of marshal because I couldn't be trusted with law enforcement anymore (no kidding Smile ) but instead was given the title of Spymaster by the rest of the party members.

And that's where we left off. With me leaving the room with the paladin asking me where I was going and I answered "To do my job!".

It's a really great campaign we are having. Too bad we can't play as often as we like.
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
(06-04-2015, 01:32 PM)AndrewCrossett Wrote:  I've never been able to bring myself to kill innocent animals in game, XP or no XP. I remember when I was playing the first level of the first Tomb Raider game. There's a place where you see a bear down in a pit. I guess you're supposed to shoot the bear, but I wouldn't... I just jumped over the pit. I only killed the wolves because they attacked me.

Which edition of D&D are you playing?

I'm curious as to how many people on this board are familiar with the Pathfinder or D&D 3.5 rules.

It's a 5th edition Adventurers League. That does remind me that I really need to start collecting Pathfinder books.
(06-04-2015, 06:42 PM)Rozen Wrote:  It's a 5th edition Adventurers League. That does remind me that I really need to start collecting Pathfinder books.

For now, if you only want info about Pathfinder books, just go there.

It's Paizo's SRD with all of the game info from all of the core books provided for free.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

(06-04-2015, 06:42 PM)Rozen Wrote:  It's a 5th edition Adventurers League. That does remind me that I really need to start collecting Pathfinder books.

I was wondering if people on the board would be interested in a play-by-post dungeon crawl campaign. But I'm not sure which rules system would be the best, or if there are enough people on here that would be interested and know how to play. It's asking a lot nowadays to try and recruit new people into gaming... the books are so damned expensive.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
(06-04-2015, 07:06 PM)AndrewCrossett Wrote:  I was wondering if people on the board would be interested in a play-by-post dungeon crawl campaign. But I'm not sure which rules system would be the best, or if there are enough people on here that would be interested and know how to play. It's asking a lot nowadays to try and recruit new people into gaming... the books are so damned expensive.

Play-by-post games, here on the Gailbo?
That might actually be pretty neat. Smile
(06-04-2015, 07:10 PM)Rozen Wrote:  Play-by-post games, here on the Gailbo?
That might actually be pretty neat. Smile

Yeah... it would probably be best to keep it relatively simple in bite-sized pieces, like dungeon crawls, rather than any epic story-based adventures that would take too long to get through at a play-by-post pace.

I have no idea how these play by post things would work but they sound quite interesting...

Don't have any stuff though, although it would be possible to get some things.
Wow. I looked at that Pathfinder rule book thing Cat was talking about.

I think I'd need to get a Doctorate in Advanced Gibberish to get anywhere with that!
(06-04-2015, 10:53 PM)Weeto Wrote:  I think I'd need to get a Doctorate in Advanced Gibberish to get anywhere with that!

You don't need all that to get started. To get started, all you really need to do is:

1. Choose your character's race (e.g. human, elf, dwarf, gnome, halfling, etc.)
2. Choose your character's class (e.g. fighter, wizard, rogue, cleric, ranger, etc.)
3. Roll up your character attributes (Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity, Constitution, Charisma)
4. Choose your skills and feats
5. If you're a spellcaster, choose your starting spells
6. Roll up your starting money and choose equipment based on that

Any other relevant information is determined from the above.

Yeah, it does look crazy complicated at first Weeto but don't let that turn you away. The first character build is always the hardest and afterward, you realize that it's always more or less the same thing you just do but with different numbers.

You can basically just start by saying what type of character you would be interested in playing (fighter, priest, wizard, rogue, etc...) and what race you'd like to play (human, elf, dwarf, gnome, halfling, half elf, half orc) and we could start from there.

And don't be afraid of building from stereotypes. The Magus character I spoke of earlier today was built around Game of Thrones Jon Snow with some James Bond "spices" added to the mix.

Playing a summoner in Pathfinder is starting to sound very tempting...
(06-04-2015, 10:53 PM)Weeto Wrote:  Wow. I looked at that Pathfinder rule book thing Cat was talking about.

I think I'd need to get a Doctorate in Advanced Gibberish to get anywhere with that!

Maybe you could use it to help decode the Voynich Manuscript....

[Image: voynich_manuscript.png]
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
I play almost exclusively Pathfinder these days although I have the core books for 4th ed and 5th ed.

Weeto, I totally build from stereo types. Probably my favorite D&D type scene is Eowyn fighting the Lord of the Nazgul. Working with a friend we came up with a real ass-kicking character for me but the role-playing part is all Eowyn. Of course, this is Eowyn from the animated version because the live action movie scene came off as she was scared shitless and pissing in her pants the whole fight.

Andrew, I'm not sure how these turn based games work. I've know about them for some time but never bothered to look into them. I might have some interest.
(06-05-2015, 04:19 AM)DungeonmasterJim Wrote:  Andrew, I'm not sure how these turn based games work. I've know about them for some time but never bothered to look into them. I might have some interest.

Here's an example of one on the Paizo message boards. (Jump in somewhere to get the feel... it's over 10,000 posts long.)

You have a GM and several players, and everyone posts by turns. Different fonts are used to indicate different things. In this case:

Plain text for narration
Bold for dialogue
Green for die rolls
Purple or blue for out-of-character talk

The die rolls use the formula:

Type of roll: die type + modifier = (actual roll) + modifier = result

As I said, any game we play would be simpler: like a dungeon crawl rather than an epic campaign such as an Adventure Path. Then if there's still interest and people are still available, we'd move on to the next thing.

You tabletopped gamining animals pulled a fast one! Angry You'all ticked me into thinking you were talking about tabletop gaming to have me not particpate but in reality you were talking about Frank Castle a subject I'm very interested in. I only read it once when it came out as a trade but I loved the angel arc for three reasons. 1. I only dabbled in comics before so had nothing to compare it to then, now after Ennis run and reading trade published before that I would react very differently. Two the author, Christopher Golden at the time was a huge draw for me. 3. I'm a sucker for Urban Fantasy and that was the genre this story was in, if they had picked an original character, rather than Frank Castle, I think it would have gone much better.
Kurtis J. Wiebe is teasing a Rat Queens tabletop RPG.

Excitement! Big Grin
(06-23-2015, 09:33 PM)Rozen Wrote:  Kurtis J. Wiebe is teasing a Rat Queens tabletop RPG.

Excitement! Big Grin

Honestly I'd rather have a campaign setting based on the Pathfinder rules than a whole new RPG...

It's just about the perfect material for it, even if Andrew might have a point about basing it on an existing system. Then again, I've seen plenty of standalone games based on concepts that really pulled it off.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.