Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tabletop gaming thread!
(03-18-2019, 07:31 PM)JBK405 Wrote:  Well, that certainly is a sequence of words to see in a mainstream news service:

[Image: tumblr_pohlttVQAE1u66tof_540.png]

Probably the only time I can be all hipster and say I was playing it before it became popular.
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
I stopped playing it before it became popular... that makes me an uber-hipster.

(Actually, it was pretty popular in the early 80's... certainly much more of a pop culture phenomenon than it is today.)
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
I was listening to a podcast about James Bond and they were saying that since Bond movies tend to latch on things that are popular, we should have a moment where Bond is playing in a high stake D&D games lol

People must have found some way by now to gamble on D&D.

The link to the article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/15/dungeons-and-dragons-is-more-popular-than-ever-thanks-to-twitch.html

It starts off: "The days of hiding away in a basement rolling dice and playing "Dungeons and Dragons" in darkness is over."

And I immediately said, why the hell would you want to play it any other way?

I'm glad that a new generation has found a taste for screen-less gaming. But I've pretty much hung up my dice bag.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
My dices for now are also hung if only that I don't have quick access to my old gaming group so north of Montreal. I still buy books but just for reading purposes.

I don't think I played a lot in basements.

In my golden years of gaming which was AD&D, I played with my friends at my parents dinner table. My friends would pay my parents beer money, my mom would cook super spicy chicken wings (I'm still kicking myself for never asking what her recipe was cause they were incredible) that she would put at the center of the table and she would be in a rocking chair listening to us play while knitting. She loved our stories, saying it was like listening a tv show and such.

Our games seldom lasted less than 8 hours, so the basement was the best place to be out of the way. Plus you could decorate the area with posters and so forth. It was good for atmosphere too, at least for dungeon crawls.

I think the best place I ever played a session was when we played a Call of Cthulhu scenario set in Lenin time Russia where we were soldiers (Some who knew more than others, some being spies from the government, etc...) investigating why a farming community in deep cold Russia hadn't sent their load of grains for a few months now.

We played that scenario in one of my friend's tool shed, on a somewhat cold day with lanterns as our only light.

It was awesome!

Found this and it made me laugh.

Gah!

When Trump supporters play D&D.......

Japanese get all the fun......

A D&D like themed tavern/bar.

I want one of those big mugs.

Jeez! After watching this documentary, I now feel pretty bad about whenever my rpg characters asked for say, having my clothes washed at an inn. Cry

I keep hearing about this in Québec years after years but never went.

Looks really cool.

I got the players guide and Loremaster guide for Adventures in Middle-Earth which is D&D in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings settings (set 5 years after The Hobbit) using the fifth edition open license of D&D and honestly, it's pretty good. They completely changed the classes to fit that setting (Just about zero magic for the players) and races are called cultures about natives of the different lands.

They also added something called shadow corruption which is how characters can change because of using a bad artifact or staying too long in tainted lands. I really enjoy this idea of adventuring becoming weary on characters.

[Image: adventures%20middle%20earth%20-%20players-600x600.jpg]

http://cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/adventures-in-middle-earth/