Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Theatre
That was to be expected, but some of the choices were...odd. For example, In "La Vie Boheme" they turned the casts cheered support of "to leather, to dildos" to "to leather, to latex" and that sort-of works, but they also left in "mutual masturbation" and the shouted slurs, so that was weird. At other points they changed wording that didn't even have to be changed at all.

I'm not usually one who feels swearing is necessary, but since much of story is deliberately abut challenging convention ad authority, muting the dialogue to appease the censors kinda defeats the purpose of performing this play at all.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
Yeah, if you're going to do a play on network television in prime time, you need to choose a play that kids can watch. Which they seem to have realized, up until now.

Some plays have special "edited" versions that are appropriate for high schools to perform. I'm pretty sure there is one for Rent, although I would much prefer waiting until it's appropriate for them to see/perform it the RIGHT way.

They might have used the "school version" of the show.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
Posted this before but I think it fits in the current conversation.

Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
There's nothing quite like seeing RENT live.

Whoof, it still packs a punch.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
(04-05-2019, 04:44 AM)JBK405 Wrote:  There's nothing quite like seeing RENT live.

Whoof, it still packs a punch.

The theater department at my local university put on a Broadway quality production of that about 5 years ago.

Seriously... I've seen clips on YouTube of the Broadway show (the final cast, not the original cast), and this production was better. They didn't have access to quite the ethnic diversity that the show calls for, so some of the traditionally black characters were played by white students. But still, it was excellent.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini