Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE FLASH on CW!
Really looking forward to the hinted things to come on Flash.
I'll say that I really appreciate how Barry in this isn't really good at fighting which makes a whole lot of sense since he's basically more of a brainy science guy.

I really hate it when for no reasons, a superhero will know martial arts for no reason other than it's simpler for him to know that from the start or will be a really good fighter the second he gains his powers.
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
(10-15-2014, 11:42 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  I'll say that I really appreciate how Barry in this isn't really good at fighting which makes a whole lot of sense since he's basically more of a brainy science guy.

I really hate it when for no reasons, a superhero will know martial arts for no reason other than it's simpler for him to know that from the start or will be a really good fighter the second he gains his powers.

I believe part of the crossover with ARROW (the 8th episode of each series) is Ollie teaching Barry how to fight.
(10-15-2014, 02:52 AM)Kevin T Brown Wrote:  After tonight's episode, I am firmly convinced that Harrison Wells is

After re-watching this last episode again (yeah I watched it again! What of it?? Wink ) I am thinking I might be wrong. Harrison Wells said during the show

I'm loving the show so far. My only nitpick is I'd like them to write Iris a bit better. So far her defining character trait is that she needs Barry to explain things to her. The first episode she mentioned that she was working on her dissertation but she can't come up with an article idea by herself or understand some fairly simply scientific terminology like light speed?
(10-17-2014, 04:33 PM)Danimal Wrote:  I'm loving the show so far. My only nitpick is I'd like them to write Iris a bit better. So far her defining character trait is that she needs Barry to explain things to her. The first episode she mentioned that she was working on her dissertation but she can't come up with an article idea by herself or understand some fairly simply scientific terminology like light speed?

I agree,

Iris his pretty much written as the dumb girl that doesn't understand anything and his only there for Barry to have a crush on (I get that to have her not understand anything science related is a way for Barry to give out exposition dumps to the audience but when you also have three other scientists as main characters on the show, you can easily find better ways to do that).

At least, they seem to be going into the direction of investigative journalism which could be much better.
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
(10-17-2014, 04:39 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  I agree,

Iris his pretty much written as the dumb girl that doesn't understand anything and his only there for Barry to have a crush on (I get that to have her not understand anything science related is a way for Barry to give out exposition dumps to the audience but when you also have three other scientists as main characters on the show, you can easily find better ways to do that).

At least, they seem to be going into the direction of investigative journalism which could be much better.

It does make me wonder what the dissertation she's working on is about. It's not like when you get into a PhD program you keep changing your major.
(10-17-2014, 04:39 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  I agree,

Not to mention the "friendzoning" nonsense that the show dangles over Barry with her dating Thawne. It's one thing to have a character have a crush on someone else and not have the confidence to express it, that's fine, but the way that they toss in Thawne almost every time the show hints at Barry x Iris and the show pretty much telegraphing to you to "feel bad for Barry because he's not making out with her" is just annoying.

Aside from this, this show has been pretty enjoyable so far.
"Journalism is so boring, Barry! How did I let you talk me into it?"

"Science is so confusing Barry! Explain it to me."

::Barry superspeeds around Iris to stare at her and explain his true love when his foster sister can't hear::

Oh, that's not creepy AT ALL.

It's almost worse that the rest of the show is better because Iris being so awful, Barry telling Caitlin to smile and her being a killjoy defined by the death of her fiancee is not doing any women any favors. We need interesting women on shows like this, especially one loved by nerds, precisely because of the radical fringe who probably watch this and nod "women, amirite?"

And could they stop emphasizing Det. West is his father--okay, I like that part. But that makes Iris his sister and....we're back to creepy.

Creative team: do better.
[Image: 51xT5ozxP5L._AA160_.jpg]

http://amzn.to/YHTYHK releases 10/7/2014.

The cure they desperately need just rose from the ashes of evil…

(10-17-2014, 11:31 PM)Corrina Wrote:  "Journalism is so boring, Barry! How did I let you talk me into it?"

"Science is so confusing Barry! Explain it to me."

::Barry superspeeds around Iris to stare at her and explain his true love when his foster sister can't hear::

Oh, that's not creepy AT ALL.

It's almost worse that the rest of the show is better because Iris being so awful, Barry telling Caitlin to smile and her being a killjoy defined by the death of her fiancee is not doing any women any favors. We need interesting women on shows like this, especially one loved by nerds, precisely because of the radical fringe who probably watch this and nod "women, amirite?"

And could they stop emphasizing Det. West is his father--okay, I like that part. But that makes Iris his sister and....we're back to creepy.

Creative team: do better.

Thank you for especially pointing out that super-creepy scene with Barry super-speeding around Iris.

Dear creative team: You are not making your male lead look like the good guy when he's using his superpowers to be a lovesick creep around women. Please do better by your female characters.
One quick thing:  About Barry using his superspeed to talk to Iris and "tell her" his feelings.  I get it.  He's awkward around women and, around her especially, when it comes to romance.  And as for her technically being his sister, she's not.  Detective West never formally adopted Barry, so no creepiness there, IMO.  They grew up as best friends, not brother and sister.  So just because Joe West is his father figure right now, that doesn't make Iris his "sister figure".

Anyway, to tonight's episode.  New interview that features Robbie Arnell a.k.a. Ronnie Raymond:  LINK.  Word of warning, there are some spoilery-type stuff in the interview.  One of the biggest is this:

Last night's episode was really good. Then again, I've thought all of the episodes have been very good. One little nit to pick, however: The imprisoning the villains in theformer particle collider and without due process? Not the greatest of ideas. I see a massive jail break as the season ender....
(10-22-2014, 02:06 PM)Kevin T Brown Wrote:  Last night's episode was really good.  Then again, I've thought all of the episodes have been very good.  One little nit to pick, however:  The imprisoning the villains in theformer  particle collider and without due process?  Not the greatest of ideas.  I see a massive jail break as the season ender....

The jailbreak is the main reason to do it!

I felt like last night's episode was a little bit of a letdown after the first two, but not bad by any stretch. I actually did like that Thawne was ready to dump Iris because why should a woman in her 20s be so worried if daddy approves of her having a boyfriend or not?
(10-21-2014, 05:55 PM)Kevin T Brown Wrote:  One quick thing:  About Barry using his superspeed to talk to Iris and "tell her" his feelings.  I get it.  He's awkward around women and, around her especially, when it comes to romance.  And as for her technically being his sister, she's not.  Detective West never formally adopted Barry, so no creepiness there, IMO.  They grew up as best friends, not brother and sister.  So just because Joe West is his father figure right now, that doesn't make Iris his "sister figure".

Anyway, to tonight's episode.  New interview that features Robbie Arnell a.k.a. Ronnie Raymond:  LINK.  Word of warning, there are some spoilery-type stuff in the interview.  One of the biggest is this:

YES!
"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

[Image: tumblr_m85q1tjHv91r2yx0wo1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_ll2yymSfI51qcyo5eo1_400.gif]
I haven't seen the third episode yet, plan to this afternoon when I eat lunch, provided I don't lose my appetite. Ok, I can see this show has some charm, but.....

Man I just don't get why this show is so popular with comic book fans right now. My only theory is that everyone is jonesing for a live action superhero show. The dialog is terrible. Grant Gustin's performance isn't entirely convincing, which probably goes hand in hand with the bad dialog. The flashback scenes with kid Barry Allen are awful, I swear in one scene the kid was looking at the teleprompter and not at the camera. And I'm sorry but I just can't let the creepy foster sister romance thing go for the sake of the show.

Maybe the show will get better, but it's CW so I'm not holding my breath here.
[Image: 76561198170769059.png]
[Image: Crossforge.png]
I get that Barry is awkward around women. I get why he does it.

Still creepy, though. Very. And the way they have Iris always make out with her boyfriend in front of him is classic "I'm a nice guy and she's with him, and, hey, audience feel bad for me," stuff. It's ridiculous. The BF is just a cardboard cop at this point too, even if we know what he becomes. He needs more personality as well.

I like much stuff about this show but it hasn't surprised me in the least, except in a negative way. And it's too obvious sometimes. "Ronnie said we're like fire and ice." Really? C'mon.
[Image: 51xT5ozxP5L._AA160_.jpg]

http://amzn.to/YHTYHK releases 10/7/2014.

The cure they desperately need just rose from the ashes of evil…

(10-17-2014, 03:44 AM)Kevin T Brown Wrote:  After re-watching this last episode again (yeah I watched it again!  What of it?? Wink ) I am thinking I might be wrong.  Harrison Wells said during the show

Honestly, I think its as simple (and to the comic readers maybe overly obvious) as
is checking every box.
Ok, I watched the third episode and I'll admit I enjoyed it, it actually had some moments that I found touching in this one.
[Image: 76561198170769059.png]
[Image: Crossforge.png]
BOOOOOOM!

What was that?!?

Oh, The Flash just crossed the Atlantic and appeared on Sky 1 at 8pm tonight.

I recorded the show as it clashed with the Rangers vs St Johnstone soccer game on BBC 1 tonight (and Rangers won 1-0... YAAAAY!) but my Dad and I watched the show at 9.30pm and it was reasonably good. Not quite earth shattering but it was interesting.

It seems a bit similar to Arrow, which it obviously shares a lot of elements with (including a shared universe) but hopefully it retains a lighter tone and is more fun than the slightly too cold and heartless Arrow show.

Having Flash on Tuesday and Arrow on Thursday should be fun.
Cool episode (pun intended). Smile Cannot wait to see Heatwave now