Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Are You Watching on TV?
What TV shows are you enjoying?  What was the last TV show you watched?  or just share your general thoughts on upcoming, current or cancelled TV shows here.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison
Video 
Just finished watching Jonathan Strange And Mr Norrell and was really impressed by the production value. I'm not big into fantasy and magic but I absolutely loved this. There are some exceptional performances throughout especially Bertie Carvel and Eddie Marsan as the title characters. Marc Warren also gives an excellent and creepy performance as The Gentleman.

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison
The last new show I watched in its entirety was Sense8, a Netflix Original Series which premiered last month. I quite enjoyed it and will recommend it to others.

Plus, like I said in the thread I started about the show, I just absolutely have to point out that this is the first series where a van (As in a motor vehicle, not some sort of CGI living car) roundhouse kicks somebody in the face.

The last show to lose me was also a Netflix Original, Between.  I wanted to like it, it's a great premise, but its execution was so poor.  In the fourth (Third?  Fifth?) episode I stopped watching right in the middle after a certain car crash, because it was just ridiculous.  There is so much conflict to be legitimately had from this situation, but they went to ridiculous lengths to create false drama that made no sense and had no connection to the situation.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is the only scripted show I'm watching now, since Game of Thrones ended. I read the book and am pretty happy with this TV version, which necessarily simplifies and truncates the story. I have a hard time understanding some of the dialogue, though.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
My Mad Fat Diary finishes tonight (Monday) here in the UK.

It's a hugely entertaining show based in the 90s about an overweight teenage girl who has a history of mental health problems and is basically about her life and the relationship between her and her friends and also with her therapist.

It is based on a real person Rae Earl that wrote the book and is an advisor for the show although the show is about 10 years further on than the book, which was based in the 80s.

I only found out this was the final episode last week. I thought it was a 7 parter only to find out it is only 3. Series 1 was 6 and Series 2 was 7.

The lead actress, Glaswegian Sharon Rooney is excellent in the lead part and has a convincing Lincolnshire accent in the show. Well, fairly convincing as it sounds a bit more Manchester than Lincoln but it does have a little bit of Lincolnshire to it too, with a little bit of a rural twang.

I can do a relatively decent US or Canadian accent but my English accents are actually horrible. I can put on an upper class Scottish accent but that isn't quite the same as it still has many Scottish sounds but isn't as rough and guttural as a normal Scottish accent.
Watched the season 2 finale of Penny Dreadful and enjoyed it. Overall the season was really solid and there were some great performances throughout especially Eva Green. Episode 3 "The Nightcomers" may be the best episode of the entire series. I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed Billie Piper as Lily. I'm really curious as to where they take it in season 3.
Late to the party but I binge watched season 4 of Arrested Development over the past few days and for the most part enjoyed it. I really liked how each episode mainly focused on each character and how interconnected it was. There are some really cool cameos throughout the season as well.
I'm bored to death with TV at the moment as virtually all my favourite shows are off air here in the UK.
Watched the first episode of Peaky Blinders and was really impressed. Great casting, good score and it's an excellent period piece. Will definitely be checking out the rest of this series.
Finished binge watching season 6 of Community over the past week and was impressed with how they were able to bring it together without so much of the original cast. While it may not be on par with the show at its best it was mostly funny and had some great moments. The cameos throughout were pretty good. I was surprised by how funny Keith David was and it was also nice to see Yvette Nicole Brown show up in the first and last episodes.
Been watching the Sam & Max cartoon. It's one of those shows that you knew was around back then, but wished you paid more attention to. Given my love of adventure games that developed later in life (thank you, Telltale), it's become a lot more interesting to watch as a bit of closure.

I mentioned this on the film thread but I watched the spin off show from Rita, a popular Danish comedy drama, which is Hjordis.

Four twenty five minute episodes and they're on Netflix. Not 100% essential to have seen Rita first but it is better to have done so.

Great stuff!
I'm about half way through Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp and I can't remember the last time I've laughed this much. The casting is alone is superb and there are tons of great cameos.
My usual schedule of major shows at the moment is as follows...

Monday: Gotham is on Channel 5 at 9pm when it is on. It isn't at the moment...

Tuesday: The Flash is on Sky One at 8pm. It isn't at the moment...

Wednesday: Wentworth (Channel 5 10pm) Grey's Anatomy on Sky Living runs at 10pm for quite a large part of the year. It used to be a Thursday but switched to Wednesdays. Not on at the moment.

Thursday: Nothing in concrete just now but for long parts of the year E4 show a bunch of US comedies with the likes of Two Broke Girls, The Big Bang Theory and Brooklyn Nine Nine from about 8pm or 8:30pm through to about 10pm. The comedy shows kinda put me off watching Arrow at 8pm on Sky One. Again not on at the moment.

Friday: WWE Smackdown (Sky Sports 3 or 4 10pm) Sky Movies show new films on Fridays.

Saturday: Usually nothing on a regular schedule although I do often watch Soccer Saturday on Sky Sports News HQ and boxing, usually on Sky Sports 1. Saturday is my least favourite TV day.

Sunday: Agent Carter (Fox 9pm), TNA Impact Wrestling (Challenge +1 10pm) Top Gear at 8pm on BBC Two was a regular thing but that show has lost the three main presenters to Amazon (for a new show) after the main one, Jeremy Clarkson was told his contract would not be renewed after fighting with a producer. A new version of the Top Gear is coming though with British TV and radio presenter Chris Evans. He is a car nut and owns some multi million pound cars like vintage Ferraris.

Nearly all my favourite shows are on hiatus at the moment and some other have ended or haven't returned at the usual time so I'm watching stuff on Netflix or trying to find replacements on the schedule.

The likes of Lost Girl (cancelled in Canada after five seasons but was due to return to British screens for its fifth and last series on Syfy In the UK and has yet to be shown), My Mad Fat Diary (came to a natural conclusion with a very short third series of three shows very recently instead of the normal January / February start to a six or seven show run) and Suburgatory (it was cancelled but I thought it was coming back for many months and was totally confused why it wasn't on) are among the shows that have disappeared for me.

I'll be honest and say I've fell away from many of the superhero shows, Agents of Shield (loved series 1 but dropped away because it clashed with something else I was very fond of and I never caught up with recordings), I fell off Arrow for much the same reason, The Flash was boring at times and I hate the guy who is the villain in it to the extent I didn't want to watch the show at all because of him. I love Gotham though and it is the best superhero themed show in a long time, maybe since Smallville, another show that I actually stopped watching quite early on and returned to!
My usual schedule of major shows at the moment is as follows...

Monday: Gotham is on Channel 5 at 9pm when it is on. It isn't at the moment...

Tuesday: The Flash is on Sky One at 8pm. It isn't at the moment...

Wednesday: Wentworth (Channel 5 10pm) Grey's Anatomy on Sky Living runs at 10pm for quite a large part of the year. It used to be a Thursday but switched to Wednesdays. Not on at the moment.

Thursday: Nothing in concrete just now but for long parts of the year E4 show a bunch of US comedies with the likes of Two Broke Girls, The Big Bang Theory and Brooklyn Nine Nine from about 8pm or 8:30pm through to about 10pm. The comedy shows kinda put me off watching Arrow at 8pm on Sky One. Again not on at the moment.

Friday: WWE Smackdown (Sky Sports 3 or 4 10pm) Sky Movies show new films on Fridays.

Saturday: Usually nothing on a regular schedule although I do often watch Soccer Saturday on Sky Sports News HQ and boxing, usually on Sky Sports 1. Saturday is my least favourite TV day.

Sunday: Agent Carter (Fox 9pm), TNA Impact Wrestling (Challenge +1 10pm) Top Gear at 8pm on BBC Two was a regular thing but that show has lost the three main presenters to Amazon (for a new show) after the main one, Jeremy Clarkson was told his contract would not be renewed after fighting with a producer. A new version of the Top Gear is coming though with British TV and radio presenter Chris Evans. He is a car nut and owns some multi million pound cars like vintage Ferraris.

Nearly all my favourite shows are on hiatus at the moment and some other have ended or haven't returned at the usual time so I'm watching stuff on Netflix or trying to find replacements on the schedule.

The likes of Lost Girl (cancelled in Canada after five seasons but was due to return to British screens for its fifth and last series on Syfy In the UK and has yet to be shown), My Mad Fat Diary (came to a natural conclusion with a very short third series of three shows very recently instead of the normal January / February start to a six or seven show run) and Suburgatory (it was cancelled but I thought it was coming back for many months and was totally confused why it wasn't on) are among the shows that have disappeared for me.

I'll be honest and say I've fell away from many of the superhero shows, Agents of Shield (loved series 1 but dropped away because it clashed with something else I was very fond of and I never caught up with recordings), I fell off Arrow for much the same reason, The Flash was boring at times and I hate the guy who is the villain in it to the extent I didn't want to watch the show at all because of him. I love Gotham though and it is the best superhero themed show in a long time, maybe since Smallville, another show that I actually stopped watching quite early on and returned to!
I've recently been re-watching my three boxed set of the series Deadwood.

I love this series so much. A western about the "glory days" of Deadwood, a land outside the US Jurisdiction who fell into a gold rush.

The writing and acting is top notch. The show actually made me rethink how grey morality can be and how people might not be who you think they are.

And Ian McShane is incredible as Al Swearengen, one of the most likable crooked bad guy ever.
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
(08-08-2015, 07:35 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  I've recently been re-watching my three boxed set of the series Deadwood.

I love this series so much. A western about the "glory days" of Deadwood, a land outside the US Jurisdiction who fell into a gold rush.

The writing and acting is top notch. The show actually made me rethink how grey morality can be and how people might not be who you think they are.

And Ian McShane is incredible as Al Swearengen, one of the most likable crooked bad guy ever.

I've always heard about this show, but never really payed much attention to it when I was younger. o.o
Most people in the UK recognise Ian McShane as the likeable rogue antique dealer Lovejoy, from the comedy drama show of the 80s and 90s. There were oodles of similar shows from Minder, Only Fools and Horses (which was a sitcom with occasional drama) and Boon.

I remember Deadwood. Terribly crude language but it seemed fairly authentic in setting.
Deadwood is what got me into Westerns as an adult. Outstanding series and I've been a fan of Ian McShane ever since.
My viewing habits are somewhat limited as I have a TV antenna but no cable TV or I stream stuff off the internet usually being Netflix. The only show I'm currently watching, at least before the new fall season starts up, is a women's prison drama titled Wentworth. It's a show from Australia. Fairly similar to Orange is the New Black but without the comedy bits. It's not great but it's pretty good overall.
I was watching, if you can call it that as I have it on while practicing guitar, another show off Netflix. I've forgotten the but it's a show about werewolf teenagers. Wolf is in the name, maybe Ghost Wolf? Pretty sure it's English but maybe even an Irish production. It's centered on young teens, maybe sophomores or juniors in high school and each episode is about 30 minutes. It's nothing spectacular but it adds a decent distraction to strumming the same riff or chords over and over again on my guitar to build muscle memory and finger flexibility.