Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Are You Watching on TV?
(10-15-2015, 03:01 AM)AndrewCrossett Wrote:  Lost Girl isn't on Hulu, VPN or no VPN. iTunes has it, but not season 5.

I've just been searching out and downloading bootleg episodes.

I'll buy the DVD set when it comes out, so it's not actually stealing... it's just an advance. :-P

Didn't say it was on Hulu. I meant that it is possible to see Hulu in the UK and it is probably possible to see Canadian shows in the US as well.

I have only really watched Nurse Jackie on more, ahem, obscure streaming sites because it is was so difficult to see over here, showing only on satellite only Sky Atlantic sometimes years behind. They seemed to have stopped dead in their tracks with it so it was the only option for me. Netflix and Amazon Prime were a long distance behind too.
Starting to catch up on Power Rangers Dino Charge, and noticed that it officially made it to the 800th overall episode of PR. Then I realized that I've spent nearly one thousand television episodes worth of my life watching people in multicolored spandex costumes piloting giant robots to punch monsters in the crotch while teaching kids about friendship and the environment. Huh. o.o
Most of my favourites are appearing now thankfully.

My recordings are as follows...

Monday - The Muppets, Inside Amy Schumer, WWE Raw
Tuesday - Flash, Lost Girl, The Middle (ended this week for now), Undateable
Wednesday - Arrow, Cherif (French cop show)
Thursday - Supergirl (from next week), The Big Bang Theory, Sleepy Hollow (not sure if this is Thursday or Wednesday)
Friday - South Park, WWE Smackdown
Saturday -
Sunday - TNA Impact Wrestling

I have a few other shows I dip in and out of and others that I don't normally record. Shows like The Simpsons, Brooklyn Nine Nine, The 100, Two Broke Girls and Red Dwarf are very much part of my schedule when they're on and I'll watch almost any wrestling.

I have Virgin Media cable, Freesat and Freeview plus Netflix and WWE Network but I dropped Amazon Prime Instant Video as it is not available on all devices and is more limited than Netflix. I might get it back for new name old style Top Gear (which was a massively popular car series but the lead presenter got sacked just before the contracts of all three presenters expired and they got a £160m Amazon deal to do a new series) and BBC are doing a different Top Gear series.

My cable system has almost everything available on mainstream channels apart from a couple of speciality sports channels (team specific ones plus Premier Sports and Box Nation) but I have Sky Sports and BT Sport. One glaring omission is that cable customers don't get Sky Atlantic which carries all the HBO stuff like Game of Thrones.
Just finished American Horror Story: Freakshow on Netflix. I found it quite entertaining and AMS is probably my current favorite show. Since I don't have cable TV I haven't seen the current season.

I'll probably start trying to catch up on current airing shows like Flash, Gotham and get started on Agents of SHIELD and Heroes: Reborn provided the episodes are available for streaming. I find I prefer to watch two or three episodes of a show in a day or two instead of waiting for once a week as it helps memory retention of just what is going on.
I'm watching Scream Queens. It just started tonight in the UK. Inside Amy Schumer is on at 11pm.

Tonight I watched The Muppets at 8pm, watched the Only Fools And Horses (a massively popular UK sitcom) 1985 Christmas special To Hull And Back then watched Scream Queens at 10pm.

WWE Raw is on at 12am instead of 1am for a little while due to British clocks going back a bit earlier than in the US. I'll still only watch the first hour or so though live as I can't stay up to 3:15am and I watched WWE Hell In A Cell last night which finished at 3am.

Scream Queens seems a bit silly. It is a bit silly to be proper horror but doesn't quite work as an all out comedy either.

I'll stick with it though as it is only a six week run initially.
I just watched the first episode of iZobmbie, having heard it was good and needing to watch something. it was good. Not great, but good. The actual story of the episode was absolutely ridiculous, I was groaning at the screen when they first came up with the psychic shtick and then screaming when the cop brought her along (Seriously, this was one of the worst depictions I've seen of TV cops since Gotham....wow, that wasn't that long ago, was it?), but the characterization and interactions made it bearable.

I'll follow the rest of the season and see how it goes, hopefully the plot of each episode will pull together.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
I finished the rest of the first season of iZombie, and I must say it was quite enjoyable.  Well, except for the police parts, which were frustratingly stupid.  Just about every single time she was brought on a case, or consulted for a case, or spoke to the detective I was frothing at the mouth in frustration.  Thankfully, the character interactions, relationships and other-writing compensated for that ridiculousness.

What I liked was that Olivia really screwed up with how she handled things with Major and the series recognized that.  She handled it about as poorly as she possibly could (She needed to bring him into the secret as soon as he began to descend into violence and self-induced psychosis) and that made things worse.  He ruined his life because of her, and it wasn't washed under the rug or forgiven at the end, he hated her for what she had let him become and for what she turned him into.  I would have preferred it if she had handled things better from the start (I really, really really really want a series where the characters make the right choices), but at least they handled her wrongness the right way.  I also like how they handled the reveal to Peyton.  It seems like they really didn't know what they wanted to do with Peyton in general (She was absent for large swathes of the show and had bare cameos in other episodes), but that sequence of the reveal; her shock and surprise and horror and then her bugging the @#$% out made perfect sense.  I do hope she comes back and reconnects with Liv, since she doesn't have the foundation for resentment and hatred that Major does, but if she doesn't I won't hold it against her, either.

So, in general, it's a good show.  Still not perfect, they need a much better handle on merging the 'normal' police activities with the zombie events, but enjoyable and twisted in the way we've come to expect TV to be now-a-days.  I'll almost certainly check out the second season.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

Equality is not a loss.
Funimation has simocasting DUBS for subscribers who pay 55 dollars a year so I'm actually watching shows this year. My fall favorite right now is Gangsta.
AMC keeps plugging this new show for November and it looks pretty neat actually.

Into the Badlands.

From what I'm getting, it's set in a future where for some reasons, there are no more guns so while there is some technology, things have reverted to a more feudal society. Kinda like Fallout meets Seven Samurai.

I'll be checking it out for sure.
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
I started to watch The 100 yesterday, but I had to stop partway through the first season because I couldn't countenance the sheer stupidity of the story and characters.  It was too much, I began to feel myself actually getting angry so I walked away.

Much like Between, which had a lot of superficial similarities in that it's also about kids and teenagers isolated from adults (Plague and quarantine in Between, juvenile criminal explorers in The 100) there is a lot of drama and internal conflict to come from this concept, but they skip over alllllll of the actual problems they might face and instead have the characters fight over the the stupidest, most pointless issues.  Just because they're kids doesn't mean they're morons, but this show doesn't seem to realize that and within four episodes there wasn't a single main character that I didn't actively want to die. Every single main character made their situation so much worse in a dozen different ways, and either wasn't called on it at all, or was called on it and then had the calling refuted.

The very first episode contained one of the clearest examples of why the show was ridiculous; when the 100 are sent down to planet Earth their landing goes off course (BTW: That's Finn's fault!!!!!!!!) so they don't have the food supplies that they expected to find at the main landing site.  Clarke says that they need to hike to the original landing site for food, and Bellamy and the other 'rebels' say no, they're not going to get the food.  Now, pay attention here because this is the stupid part: They're not arguing over who should go get the food, they're not protesting being assigned work or Clarke taking charge (Although that does become part of it), they're objecting to the very act of going to the food at all.  It ends with them saying "if you want the food, go get it yourself" and refusing to assist or participate at all. They don't want to get food.

It gets worse from there as the show progresses.

I think I made it about ten episodes in, but I couldn't keep going.

Equality is not a loss.
(11-02-2015, 12:35 AM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  AMC keeps plugging this new show for November and it looks pretty neat actually.

Into the Badlands.

From what I'm getting, it's set in a future where for some reasons, there are no more guns so while there is some technology, things have reverted to a more feudal society. Kinda like Fallout meets Seven Samurai.

I'll be checking it out for sure.

I'm actually really excited about Into the Badlands. It feels like an eternity since we last had a full-on martial arts show on TV.

Speaking of AMC, they also dropped this first trailer for Garth Ennis' Preacher.

I've watched the first episode of Into the Badlands and it was pretty good.

It's been a long while since we had a good Kung-Fu tv show and this brings a lot of it.

And it really is like a weird mix of Fallout where after the apocalypse, society went to something like feudal Japan mixed in with some Gone with the Wind. No guns but a lot of martial arts and sword play.

(11-02-2015, 05:45 PM)JBK405 Wrote:  I started to watch The 100 yesterday, but I had to stop partway through the first season because I couldn't countenance the sheer stupidity of the story and characters. It was too much, I began to feel myself actually getting angry so I walked away.

Much like Between, which had a lot of superficial similarities in that it's also about kids and teenagers isolated from adults (Plague and quarantine in Between, juvenile criminal explorers in The 100) there is a lot of drama and internal conflict to come from this concept, but they skip over alllllll of the actual problems they might face and instead have the characters fight over the the stupidest, most pointless issues. Just because they're kids doesn't mean they're morons, but this show doesn't seem to realize that and within four episodes there wasn't a single main character that I didn't actively want to die. Every single main character made their situation so much worse in a dozen different ways, and either wasn't called on it at all, or was called on it and then had the calling refuted.

The very first episode contained one of the clearest examples of why the show was ridiculous; when the 100 are sent down to planet Earth their landing goes off course (BTW: That's Finn's fault!!!!!!!!) so they don't have the food supplies that they expected to find at the main landing site. Clarke says that they need to hike to the original landing site for food, and Bellamy and the other 'rebels' say no, they're not going to get the food. Now, pay attention here because this is the stupid part: They're not arguing over who should go get the food, they're not protesting being assigned work or Clarke taking charge (Although that does become part of it), they're objecting to the very act of going to the food at all. It ends with them saying "if you want the food, go get it yourself" and refusing to assist or participate at all. They don't want to get food.

It gets worse from there as the show progresses.

I think I made it about ten episodes in, but I couldn't keep going.

The 100 is an amazing show in my opinion. The second season really went beyond the first and there were a lot of interesting storylines and loads of action.

The behaviour of some of the youths in the early episodes is a bit stupid but the show settled down a bit and things picked up big time.

The battles between the main characters and other groups were epic on occasion.

It really is worth persisting with the show!
Do the characters ever wizen up? That's really a requirement for me, I can't countenance universal stupidity. Errors in judgement, mistakes, short-sightedness I can all understand, people in real life make stupid decisions all the time and it gets worse in unfamiliar or stressful situations, but I need them to not just be stupid. If you can tell me that they don't each and every one deserve a Darwin Award I might come back, but if they continue to actively kill themselves it'd be better if I just stayed away.

Equality is not a loss.
(11-17-2015, 10:04 PM)JBK405 Wrote:  Do the characters ever wizen up? That's really a requirement for me, I can't countenance universal stupidity. Errors in judgement, mistakes, short-sightedness I can all understand, people in real life make stupid decisions all the time and it gets worse in unfamiliar or stressful situations, but I need them to not just be stupid. If you can tell me that they don't each and every one deserve a Darwin Award I might come back, but if they continue to actively kill themselves it'd be better if I just stayed away.

Some of the characters are a bit wiser but some of the are too impulsive at times. The balance of characters changes quite a bit in the second season.
I got to see my first episode of this season's The Walking Dead. It ended up being episode 2 because episode one wasn't available.

So, anyways, maybe I should just stick with the comic. In this episode there was this big fight going on involving to large parties of people. The attackers in the fight literally hack the defenders into pieces. It's to the point of hacking bodies to pieces cutting off arms and legs or just wailing away on people that are obviously dead. And during all this, with the defenders being killed around him, this one that refuses to kill takes the time to tie up this one single bad guy that he has defeated. Worse, the guy that refuses to kill is apparently a very good fighter and is one of the only people actually defeating the attackers. And then later, refusing to kill guy defeats a group of 4 if not five opponents circling him. He forces them to flee. As they flee, the group leader picks up a pistol. He doesn't shoot refusing to kill man but instead puts the gun in his waistband and runs off with the others.

In another scene two teenagers decide to have a heart to heart talk during the big fight as they sit back to back guarding a whole house of several rooms.

And I'm beyond sick of characters that cannot bring themselves to kill another because of fear even when that other person is killing people all over the place.

The show has a lot of stupid situations just to create drama and it really rings false with me.
If it helps, in the episode afterwards, they sorta explain why that character refuses to kill. It's not the perfect answer but it explains why he went from psycho in season 3 last we saw him to martial arts pacifist in this season.

I will give props to this show for having a badass hero character Carol, played by a great actress who isn't this young hot babe that they usually put for this kind of stuff. The actress is 50 years old. It's great to see that representation at least.

Carol is one of the few characters that is better in the show than in the comic.
Well, I continued watching The 100, and I must say I'm glad I did, it took a very surprising upturn in quality. I'd say in mid-season two it really turned around, right about when they **SPOILERS** killed Finn. Suddenly the characters stopped being so ridiculously stupid, with really deep pathos and dark conflict that made sense both internally and externally.

I didn't like where they went with Jaha's character, for a whole host of reasons, but even with that dragging it down they really knocked it out of the park.

Equality is not a loss.
(11-21-2015, 12:54 PM)JBK405 Wrote:  Well, I continued watching The 100, and I must say I'm glad I did, it took a very surprising upturn in quality. I'd say in mid-season two it really turned around, right about when they **SPOILERS** killed Finn. Suddenly the characters stopped being so ridiculously stupid, with really deep pathos and dark conflict that made sense both internally and externally.

I didn't like where they went with Jaha's character, for a whole host of reasons, but even with that dragging it down they really knocked it out of the park.

The show went from being quite good to being enthralling pretty quickly.

The politics between the Sky People, Grounders and Mountain Men were interesting too.