Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Music: The Good, the Bad, the Bizarre and the Enthralling
I don't think we've had a general music thread before, and why not, eh?  Music can excite the passions, calm the rages, exhort the soul and beguile the mind, it deserves its own thread!  So....here it is.

I was in my car a few days ago (Sunday, I think?) when Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band came on the radio, and for some reason it connected with me more in that moment than it ever has before.  I don't why, I've always considered The Beatles to be my singular favorite band (Although Pink Floyd has actually been making a lively challenge recently due to the way their albums run together so perfectly), but this time the song just clicked.

I didn't even drive anywhere until the song ended, I was too busy rockin'.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
Okay, let's start at the top.

My nominee for the rockingest rock song in the history of rock.

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
Would putting links to my CD reviews here be okay, or should I just keep them in my signature?
Go right ahead. I have signatures turned off in my options, so I don't even see those links anyway.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
My KNAC.com review of the new Iron Maiden album The Book of Souls is HERE.

[Image: ironmaiden_thebookofsouls.jpg]

Meanwhile my Pop-topia.com review of the new Beth Hart album Better Than Home can be seen HERE.

[Image: ABethHart-300x300.jpg]
The Beatles and Pixies are two of my favorite bands. I can already tell I'm in good company. Big Grin
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison
It might be cool to come up with some playlist ideas.

I have Apple Music and many others will have that, Spotify or a similar service.

I often say I'm a heavy metal fan but I'm not really a hardcore headbanger. My tastes go into synth pop, soul, classical and electronica too.

My favourite groups and solo acts include Queen, Nightwish (Tarja Turunen era), Rammstein, Motörhead, My Chemical Romance, Metallica, Pantera, Rob Zombie / White Zombie, Blur, Iron Maiden, Radiohead, Annie Lennox / Eurythmics, Pet Shop Boys, Portishead, Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder, Nirvana and I'll even admit to being a Pink fan!

As most of you will know, I'm an enormous 80s and 90s nostalgia freak and I love watching Vintage TV, a great music oldies TV channel in the UK.

I'm a huge fan of that era and I'll listen to most of the decent music from that time period. From the synth pop ballads of the mid 80s and the indie Britpop era of the mid 90s or the headbanging anthems of the early 90s, I'm a fan of an awful lot of it.
Does anyone collect or listen to vinyl? Personally I don't have a large collection and only collect vinyls to listen to. Probably my favorite piece is this Sun Records Johnny Cash And The Tennessee Two Original Golden Hits Volume 1. It sounds great and there's not a bad song on it. It's in pretty decent condition and I actually feel pretty lucky to own it.

[Image: qvSANTP.jpg]
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison
I amassed a huge vinyl collection in the 80's. I probably had close to 1,000 LP's at one point. But I gradually stopped listening to them, and then my turntable finally crapped out and I didn't get a new one. I still have several hundred albums sitting around, though I gave a bunch to my brother, who is a vinyl fanatic.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
Vinyl?

I hate even having the smallish amount of CDs that I have. Nearly everything I've bought in the past 10 years has been digital. I don't actually see myself ever buying a CD again. In fact I don't intend to buy music at all thanks to streaming.
I need to own my music.

I do buy a lot of MP3's when I just want a single song. I don't do any streaming apart from YouTube. Most of my musical tastes go back to the 90's and before, which was the age of the album. And when I want an album, I want it in physical form.

If CD's ever go out of production I'll probably stop buying music for the most part... I already have most of what I like anyway. About 99% of new music is of no interest to me. All the popular stuff is either hip-hop or country, neither of which I like. I liked alternative rock for a long time, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to be "alternative" to anymore. Most of it now seems to be a bunch of pretentious neckbeard hipster crap.

I'm one who needs to have a physical representation of the music that I pay for. I actually go to the record store to buy my albums. Okay, not all of them because I sometimes get a better deal online or the store doesn't have what I want to buy. But for the most part, I do go to the shops.
I haven't bought any CDs for awhile but the last one I bought was "An Awesome Wave" by alt-J (∆).

[Image: JDY47pi.jpg]
Just bought this today at Half Price Books for 50cents:

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

[Image: tumblr_m85q1tjHv91r2yx0wo1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_ll2yymSfI51qcyo5eo1_400.gif]
I don't think I've bought a CD since 2010 or so. I have to be honest and say that I HATE adding music to my devices through iTunes and I WON'T pay extra to do it via Apple! I already have the music and I just want to transfer it!

I have Apple Music anyway so I don't really need to worry about my CDs now.

I'm really glad I have a 10GB 4G data plan with my phone company. I can go crazy with streaming music and video when I'm out and I don't need to worry about going over usually. I have really fast internet at home 152mbps and that is really good for streaming too.
(09-13-2015, 01:49 AM)Weeto Wrote:  I have Apple Music anyway so I don't really need to worry about my CDs now.

Unless and until Apple decides to stop letting you have access to it, or you can no longer pay for it, or you lose Internet access.

I want all my music in my hands and out of the hands of a corporation.

(09-13-2015, 02:45 AM)AndrewCrossett Wrote:  
Weeto dateline='<a href="tel:1442108975">1442108975</a>' Wrote:  I have Apple Music anyway so I don't really need to worry about my CDs now.

Unless and until Apple decides to stop letting you have access to it, or you can no longer pay for it, or you lose Internet access.

I want all my music in my hands and out of the hands of a corporation.

I think streaming music is here to stay. And I don't think I'm likely to not be able to pay a measly £10 a month and barring Britain being hit by a nuclear strike, my internet access is pretty safe!
(09-13-2015, 09:56 AM)Weeto Wrote:  I think streaming music is here to stay

If the last 20 years or so have taught me anything, it''s that *nothing* is here to stay. In that time it's gone from "Vinyl is dead, CD's are the hot new thing" to "CD's are dead, MP3's are the hot new thing" to "MP3's are dead, streaming is the hot new thing." Next it'll be "streaming is dead, gathering around a campfire and singing songs from memory is the hot new thing."

As far as I'm concerned, streaming is just a way for corporations to make you pay for music without giving you ownership of anything you pay for. Individual songs, entire artists' catalogs or whole labels' rosters can disappear at a moment's notice because the artist or label signs an exclusive with one of the other services out there, or decides they're not being paid enough money, or have some kind of argument with Apple, or Apple decides something in the music is "inappropriate" for their customers. (Apple is the ultimate Nanny Corporation, keeping you safe from your own unacceptable choices.)

Netflix users know all about it. "Binge-watching" pretty much came about because users were trying to get an entire series watched before Netflix pulled it off the menu for some obscure reason or other.

Also, I've heard nothing but bad things lately about the functionality of Apple Music. If they've fucked it up anywhere near as badly as they fucked up iTunes, that's not a good sign. (I've still got iTunes 10 installed on my computer, with the updater turned off, because later versions of the software are such garbage.)

Whenever an album, or a movie, or a TV show is something I'm going to want to listen to or watch more than once, I buy it. I know it will always be there and nobody can take it away, or raise the price, or censor it.

(09-13-2015, 12:39 PM)AndrewCrossett Wrote:  If the last 20 years or so have taught me anything, it''s that *nothing* is here to stay. In that time it's gone from "Vinyl is dead, CD's are the hot new thing" to "CD's are dead, MP3's are the hot new thing" to "MP3's are dead, streaming is the hot new thing." Next it'll be "streaming is dead, gathering around a campfire and singing songs from memory is the hot new thing."

As far as I'm concerned, streaming is just a way for corporations to make you pay for music without giving you ownership of anything you pay for. Individual songs, entire artists' catalogs or whole labels' rosters can disappear at a moment's notice because the artist or label signs an exclusive with one of the other services out there, or decides they're not being paid enough money, or have some kind of argument with Apple, or Apple decides something in the music is "inappropriate" for their customers. (Apple is the ultimate Nanny Corporation, keeping you safe from your own unacceptable choices.)

Netflix users know all about it. "Binge-watching" pretty much came about because users were trying to get an entire series watched before Netflix pulled it off the menu for some obscure reason or other.

Also, I've heard nothing but bad things lately about the functionality of Apple Music. If they've fucked it up anywhere near as badly as they fucked up iTunes, that's not a good sign. (I've still got iTunes 10 installed on my computer, with the updater turned off, because later versions of the software are such garbage.)

Whenever an album, or a movie, or a TV show is something I'm going to want to listen to or watch more than once, I buy it. I know it will always be there and nobody can take it away, or raise the price, or censor it.

I've had a weird issue where music videos have caused Apple Music to crash and shut down but apart from that, no problems.
I like to think of this song and video as the coda to A Clockwork Orange.