Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Music: The Good, the Bad, the Bizarre and the Enthralling
You can check out my review of the new Disturbed CD Immortalized via this KNAC.com link.

[Image: disturbed_immortalized_album_cover_2.jpg]
My review of the new Don Henley CD Cass County can be seen via this Pop-topia.com link.

[Image: ADonHenley1-300x300.jpg]
I'm about to watch the Rugby World Cup quarter final - Scotland Vs Australia. The winners face Argentina in the semi final after Los Pumas smashed European Champions Ireland 43-20 in the first quarter final today.

If Scotland can get past the Wallabies today, the shock of all shocks could be on, as Argentina are good but by no means invincible and if Scotland got to Twickenham stadium for the World Cup final, the Scotland fans would rip the roof off the stadium and there would probably be five million Scots in London for the game, out of 5.3m. The rest would probably be the English population of Scotland, still crying after their first round exit!
Wow. Scotland lead 16-15 at half time.

Australia have scored three tries (touchdowns) but missed all of their conversions (extra point kicks worth two points) while the Scots have scored a try (worth five), a conversion and three penalty goals (field goals worth three points and awarded for foul play) and the Scottish play has been very good. We're not great at holding out under pressure near our line (red zone defence in American parlance) but Scotland are pretty good at making the Aussies make mistakes to get penalty kicks in the Australian line. Scotland have been dangerous running at Australia too and the Scotland wingers have pace and Tommy Seymour is very dangerous.

I hope Bernard Foley of Australia doesn't realise his feet are on the wrong way round as if Australia get their kicking game going, Scotland could be in trouble.

The Aussies have beaten England and Wales in the past couple of weeks.
I meant to post the rugby posts in the chat thread. Sorry.
Scotland were leading 34-32 in the last minute and the Australians got a controversial penalty kick which they scored to win 35-34.

The panellists on TV all said it should have been referred to the video referee and in my opinion, it was a scrum to Australia, NOT a penalty. They might have still scored but they would have had mere seconds to do so and any mistake at all and Scotland would have won.

There was another really harsh decision where a player was sin binned for 10 minutes and Australia went on to score a try and this decision was seen as really harsh as the player did not blatantly knock the ball away. Might have been only a scrum also.

Scotland were horribly unlucky and were seconds away from facing Argentina in the semi final.
I mixed this tread up with the chat one again. Double sorry!
The self-titled debut album and the Straight Shooter CD from Bad Company have been given an extensive reissue edition. You can check out what I had to say about them via this Pop-topia.com link.
(11-14-2015, 10:40 PM)Deathstroke Wrote:  The self-titled debut album and the Straight Shooter CD from Bad Company have been given an extensive reissue edition. You can check out what I had to say about them via this Pop-topia.com link.

Cool. I listed to the Straight Shooter CD quite a bit back in college.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
Thanks for reading the piece!
I've been a fan of the band Halestorm for about a year now, after getting hooked on their song "Love Bites (So Do I)".  It's a great song, performed superbly, and the band has an energy and enthusiasm that I associate with rock and roll from the '60's, '70's and '80's, the feeling that they're being swept up in the music right along with us.  Though I realize that professional music was just as processed then as now (Just with different techniques), it felt more real, and Halestorm pulls that off.  It's heavy, with vicious guitar and drums, screaming vocals, and an aggressive tone that makes you want to get behind them so that you aren't caught in front of them.  When they come on the radio I rock, with all that that entails.

However, despite liking the song and hearing their other hits on the radio as they came out, I wasn't really a follower of Halestorm. I couldn't have named any more of their songs apart from "Apocalyptic" and "I Miss the Misery", which like I said got current radio airplay, and couldn't speak to their history. That changed a few days ago when I began to dig a bit more into their catalogue and fell even more in love than I had been before. First off, Lzzy Hale (Lead singer) has cooperated with Lindsey Stirling on "Shatter Me", and apart from being just a phenomenal song by itself (This is Lzzy's amazing vocal chops merging with Stirling's startling music) the thought of two such icons together is mind-breaking.

I learned that the band was first regarded as really taking off when "Here's to Us" was covered on Glee, so I went to the source to check out the song and...this song is something. Not the Glee version, they gutted the song with the changes they made, but the original is flipping perfect. It's a song that makes me feel, makes me want to kick in the teeth of anybody getting in my way and barge forward. In the two days since I first heard it, it's already helped me deal with stressful days by rocking the @#$% out and moving forward. On your next rough day, just put this on and let it help you get through it.

So, after "Here's to Us" I'm officially a convert, and I'm digging into their entire catalogue, and I learn that they actually released two EPs of covers of other artists. And not just covers that you'd expect to hear, either. Sure, they did "Shoot to Thrill" by AC/DC, but that's obvious, both real hard rocking bands, and they did "Hell is for Children" by Pat Benatar, and that's obvious because I said from the first time I heard them that I could imagine a Pat Benatar vibe coming from Halestorm (Although I put it more on Joan Jett), but they also did "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga, and "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk, which I wouldn't have imagined in a million year. And then we got to the big one: They covered "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" by the Beatles. Now, the Beatles are one of my all-time favorite bands, their only real competition is the likes of Pink Floyd, and the thought of hearing Halestorm (Mother@#$%ing Halestorm) covering one of their songs just about knocked me sideways, particularly since I wouldn't have pictured them performing a Beatles song at all (The two bands do very different music). Then the song came on and...by the time this one started playing I was reading a book with my computer giving background music, and at Lzzy's first lyrics I put the book down. I'm not even joking, I literally put down what I was reading at the sheer feel of Lzzy's performance. It's that much.

Now, I thought I was just about done after that one. I'd heard their biggest hits on the radio, I'd now pulled up their early stuff that got them popularity, and I'd delved into their covers of other bands. By all rights that should have been it, especially since they've really only been around for a few years, not long enough to have the kind of catalogue depth that comes from being around for decades. But oh no, we weren't done after all. See, still in there was "Dear Daughter", which damn near brought me to tears. Emotion and wisdom and meaning, all delivered by this @#$%ing amazing band.

Just...holy jeez, this band is kicking my ass so hard right now and I am loving every second of it.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
An online friend of mine is a huge fan of Halestorm's new album, so it seems the band is really taking off.
I'm very glad to hear that, I like quality to succeed even apart from my own appreciation.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

Equality is not a loss.
Beyond music itself, let's take a look at how it can accentuate the emotions and feelings coming from elsewhere. The Godfather is one of the greatest films of all times (I'm willing to debate which film is actually the greatest) and its soundtrack and theme are one of the reasons. It's not a John Williams bombastic score, with a chanting choir and full orchestra pounding the blood in your veins, it pulls you in with its subtlety. Take a look at the very first scene:

The song starts so softly and slowly, and it never picks up speed or grows in volume, it remains quiet and melancholy as it leads you into Bonasera's story and the greater world of the Mafia. Just hearing it, just being in the presence of those notes, brings the entire film into clarity.

Equality is not a loss.
I've got a new review up. This time it is for the Joel Hoekstra's 13 CD Dying To Live. You can check it out via this KNAC.com link.

[Image: joelhoekstras13_dyingtolive.jpg]
My review of the new Trans-Siberian Orchestra CD Letters From The Labyrinth can be seen via this KNAC.com link.

[Image: tso_lettersfromthelabyrinth.jpg]
(12-08-2015, 12:41 PM)Deathstroke Wrote:  My review of the new Trans-Siberian Orchestra CD Letters From The Labyrinth can be seen via this KNAC.com link.

[Image: tso_lettersfromthelabyrinth.jpg]

Interesting. I never really got into TSO (or Savatage) despite being a secret prog rock enthusiast. I did recently pick up the Dreams of Fireflies EP (it was on sale at Best Buy). Haven't listened to it yet.

I guess I always had it in my mind that TSO were a slightly hipper version of Mannheim Steamroller, or something.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
I've been a fan of Trans-Siberian Orchestra for a few years now, even before I knew their name, when I downloaded one of their tracks back in 2008 (I believe I described it as "modernized classical"). Plus, look at my post seven posts up and tell me you're in any way surprised that I @#$%ed right out when I learned that Lzzy Hale cooperated on vocals on one of the tracks on this CD.

Equality is not a loss.
Andrew, TSO was fantastic on their first 3 Xmas CDs. I only recently got the Dreams of Fireflies EP myself and I wasn't all that impressed. It was okay, but there was only one song I genuinely enjoyed.

You should check out their non-Xmas CD "Beethoven's Last Night". It was freaking outstanding.

As for their live shows, believe me they are incredible. It's a rock/metal show with Christmas music thrown in. A visual spectacle.

JBK405, I can imagine you freaked out when you saw Lzzy Hale did the vocals on the bonus track alternate version of "Forget About the Blame".

As I noted in the review, I did like the "Sun" version of the track a little bit more though.
My review of the new W.A.S.P. CD Golgotha can be seen via this Pop-topia.com link.

[Image: AWASP1-300x300.jpg]