Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Music: The Good, the Bad, the Bizarre and the Enthralling
You can check out my new Cassette Chronicles article, which looks at the self-titled debut album from Danger Danger, HERE!
My new Cassette Chronicles article looks at Tyketto's debut album Don't Come Easy.
My review of the February 7th, 2019 Winger concert in New Bedford, MA can be seen HERE!
You can check out my Cassette Chronicles article on the self-titled debut album from Julliet HERE!
I saw Dorothy last night, opened by the band Spirit Animal.

I wasn't familiar with Spirit Animal, but they actually had a good energy. The lead singer did a lot of good interplay with the crowd, some jokes and some 'sing along with this chorus' bits. The weirdest thing was the look of the lead singer: He looked like just some guy. He didn't have a costume or long hair -- or a shaved head -- or big beard or anything to make him look like "a musician". I'm so used to a certain image that seeing just a regular joe, wearing a short-sleeve button down shirt with with a boring haircut, got a double-take. It might have been me up on stage.

Dorothy absolutely knocked it out of the park, even better than when I saw them last year. I noticed then that they were in the middle of a sound shift, changing from hard rock to more of a groove feel, and they've mastered it now. They played songs off their first album and their second album and they were able to merge the differing styles seamlessly.

I went with two friends, neither of whom had seen Dorothy before. They were the same two who I saw Halestorm with a few months ago, and when I explained that I discovered Dorothy when they were opening for Halestorm they were set.

It really all came together.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
I’m going nowling with some friends later tomight, but until then it’s just a chill little day at home.

I’m taking advantage of having two record players set up, one with a spindle auto-player, so I’ve got several albums queued up. Lou Reed just finished, and Johnny Cash is next, to be followed by Janis Joplin.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

Equality is not a loss.
I’m doing a wikiwalk and I somehow wound up on the “List of best-selling singles” page, which lists the song single releases with the most sales worldwide.

Most of the top songs weren’t exactly a surprise since they were by known performers or cultural touchstones, but my jaw dropped when I saw the #15 best-selling physical single of all time: “You’re The One That I Want” from the soundtrack to Grease, with more than fifteen million singles sold worldwide.

I love Grease as much as the next guy, but I was gobsmacked to think that this song apparently sold more than all the pop stars and supergroups and idols which dominate the music scene. Nothing by the Rolling Stones or Frank Sinatra or Queen or Led Zeppelin or Louis Armstrong or Ella Fitzgerald or Edith Piaf made the list, but that one did. John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.

Huh.

Equality is not a loss.
And I'm kind of amazed at Mungo Jerry's "In the Summertime." I know the song, but I didn't know it was anything more than a typical hit song from the 70's. Where and why did it sell so much?
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
Todd in the Shadows did a video on "In the Summertime" for his One Hit Wonderland series.

I guess it just connected with audiences being a happy, simple little ditty about having fun.

Equality is not a loss.
Oh man, there are few things better than suddenly hearing “(You’re Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher” come on. I can’t resist it, I have to dance.

Equality is not a loss.
Crap... Peter Tork of the Monkees has died.

It sure is great to be my age and watch your childhood die off slowly.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
This week's new Cassette Chronicles article takes a look at the Europe album Wings of Tomorrow.
My new Cassette Chronicles article this week looks at the Scorpions album Blackout. You can check out the article HERE!
The Cassette Chronicles #83 - Bruce Hornsby and the Range - The Way It Is
Quote:It has always seemed strange to me that Bruce Hornsby and the Range had such a stellar out of the gates start to their career with their debut release and yet for all intents and purposes never came close to duplicating their success with any of their future releases.

Their second album did OK too. I'm sure you probably remember hearing "The Valley Road" and "Look Out Any Window" on the radio.

(03-08-2019, 03:11 AM)AndrewCrossett Wrote:  Their second album did OK too. I'm sure you probably remember hearing "The Valley Road" and "Look Out Any Window" on the radio.

Yes, but not as good as the first album which was the point I was trying to make in that part of the article.
You can check out my review of the new Tora Tora album Bastards of Beale via this KNAC.COM link.
Concert Review - Queensryche / Fates Warning

Concert Review - Y&T
The Cassette Chronicles #84 - Quiet Riot - Condition Critical