Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Arrow {SPOILERS AHOY!}
Big Grin 
So I haven't seen the season premiere yet, but I hear the show broke the cardinal "rule" of Gail Boardism and did a full-on fridging.

Okay, so who gets to break the news to Gail?

Although come to think of it... is it still called fridging when it's the death of a female character to advance the plot of ANOTHER female character?
It was a meh episode for me. Not super bad, not super good either. Just there to set up a couple of things.

I really like Felicity but they need to do more with her character than just the whole "will they, won't they?" with Oliver or just write most of her character about what guy she has a crush on. Let her be the sweet, yet badass girl that she can be.

I did enjoy Ray Palmer a lot.

As for the fridging,

Oh and Roy his now super competent and a pretty decent hero. I really like it but yeah......confused Smile
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
I had a serious gut level reaction to that killing. I mean, they've been telegraphing it forever but it still really hit me. I still don't think I'll ever like Laurel.

And Ray Palmer was definitely awesome.
Finished the new episode a while ago, and all I can really say is this.

OH GOD FUCKING DAMN YOU, ARROW WRITING STAFF!!!

*shakes fist*
So have we decided if this counts as fridging or not?
Not fridging as far as I'm concerned. This was the plan for her from the beginning. Saying this was a fridging is saying that the deaths of Tommy Merlyn or Moira Queen were fridgings as well.

Anyway, I thought this was a good episode, not a great one. Not entirely on board with Ray Palmer though.... despite looking forward to the Atom.
(10-10-2014, 02:09 AM)Kevin T Brown Wrote:  Not fridging as far as I'm concerned.  This was the plan for her from the beginning.  Saying this was a fridging is saying that the deaths of Tommy Merlyn or Moira Queen were fridgings as well.

Anyway, I thought this was a good episode, not a great one.  Not entirely on board with Ray Palmer though.... despite looking forward to the Atom.

To be fair, even the people on Arrow just about admitted that the death of Moira Queen was a fridging. They didn't know what to do with the character anymore and decided to have her killed so that Oliver would have something to react to.

On wikipedia, they define part of fridging as:

Cases of it deal with a gruesome injury or murder of a female character at the hands of a supervillain, usually as a motivating personal tragedy for a male superhero to whom the victim is connected. The death or injury of the female character then helps cement the hatred between the hero and the villain responsible.

That's exactly what happened to Moira last season.

(10-09-2014, 02:49 PM)Danimal Wrote:  I had a serious gut level reaction to that killing. I mean, they've been telegraphing it forever but it still really hit me. I still don't think I'll ever like Laurel.

And Ray Palmer was definitely awesome.

agreed 100#

(I just watched it, and THIS is exactly what I would have posted)

is the guy guarding Ollie in HK supposed to be a new character?. .or someone from the comics I don't recognize.

(10-09-2014, 11:28 PM)Spiffy Wrote:  So have we decided if this counts as fridging or not?

More of a "roofing" or a "Dumpstering" I'd say.

Tongue
"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

[Image: tumblr_m85q1tjHv91r2yx0wo1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_ll2yymSfI51qcyo5eo1_400.gif]
(10-10-2014, 07:08 PM)bert Wrote:  More of a "roofing" or a "Dumpstering" I'd say.

Tongue

Or perhaps falling....... Wink
(10-10-2014, 07:29 PM)Kevin T Brown Wrote:  Or perhaps falling.......   Wink

onto the trash can?

they wanted to make sure we KNEW she was dead.

hope the Lazarus Pit does make an appearance this season.
"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

[Image: tumblr_m85q1tjHv91r2yx0wo1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_ll2yymSfI51qcyo5eo1_400.gif]
My main hesitation in calling it a fridging is that Sara seemed set up as a tragic character from the start. On the other hand, her death seems to be primarily about Laurel. I don't think her death was only about motivation for someone else or other people, but it was definitely a component. It was also about her time as an assassin.
and an excuse to bring Nyssa back to train Laurel

(10-11-2014, 04:43 PM)bert Wrote:  and an excuse to bring Nyssa back to train Laurel

Ted Grant is also supposed to be debuting this season. I imagine he'll help fill that role too but I'd love more Nyssa.
I want to see Nyssa again too.

I have such a girl crush on that lady it's almost embarrassing Smile

(10-11-2014, 04:47 PM)Danimal Wrote:  Ted Grant is also supposed to be debuting this season. I imagine he'll help fill that role too but I'd love more Nyssa.

she's been announced as recurring this season, hasn't she?

(10-11-2014, 04:50 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  I want to see Nyssa again too.

yep Smile

Arrow featured TWO fridgings last year, and the plot was based on both. Shado, of course, and Moira.

I watched the second half of the season premier because nothing else was on and was reminded why I decided to stop watching. First, Ollie being an ass to Diggle, then giving the "I can't date you, I'm a superhero speech," then Felicity spending most of her time making goo-goo eyes at Ollie (way to devolve the character, people) and finally, Sara.

She may or may not be back but I don't care. Up to the point last year when Slade killed Moira, I was team slade. I suspect this year, I'd be Team Ray, and then he'll lose and Ollie will be proven right and it will drive me nuts.
[Image: 51xT5ozxP5L._AA160_.jpg]

http://amzn.to/YHTYHK releases 10/7/2014.

The cure they desperately need just rose from the ashes of evil…

So the gang had to deal with a terrorist archer from my neck of the wood and they didn't bother to call me for help........ Way to be greedy there Ollie and company!

Seriously, I was just happy that they showed a French Canadian on American TV that wasn't talking like Gambit from the X-Men cartoon Smile

Shado and Moira were definitely fridgings, but I'm not sure where I fall on Sara yet. The thing with her is that she's been doomed pretty much since she was introduced as the Canary on a show that also has Laurel Lance on it. Her death has been foreshadowed plenty of times and I think until we learn who actually killed her and why, I hesitate to call it a fridging (despite storing her corpse in a fridge Wink ). If her death was more about her story and less about Oliver and Laurel, I think I can call it something else. On the other hand, if it is just about giving him angst and getting Laurel in the wig and fishnets, then yeah, not cool.
Still in shock. Killed one girl crush and shove the other into the waiting arms of Ray Palmer. Have I mentioned how much I want to punch him? Just sayin...

In honor of Sara:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dge8M_fRXxU
(10-20-2014, 01:14 AM)Little Scandal Wrote:  Still in shock. Killed one girl crush and shove the other into the waiting arms of Ray Palmer. Have I mentioned how much I want to punch him? Just sayin...

In honor of Sara:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dge8M_fRXxU

Oliver needs to wake up. I think everyone has a crush on Felicity. MIT class of 2009!