Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jessica Jones (spoilers)
Season one comes out tomorrow on Netflix. Who's excited for it?
I don't have Netflix, but... isn't this brought to us by the writer of the Twilight movies? Undecided

Not so excited.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
(11-20-2015, 02:25 PM)AndrewCrossett Wrote:  I don't have Netflix, but... isn't this brought to us by the writer of the Twilight movies? Undecided

Not so excited.

Yep, same person (Melissa Rosenberg) but to be fair, she had to write the Twilight screenplay according to the books so there was so much turd polishing that someone can do there Smile
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
Wha......?

And I'd been so excited...
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
Just watched episode 1 and it's pretty good.

A pretty nice representation of someone dealing with PTSD.

Loved that ending too since it's a moment that I more or less had to deal with personally (fight or flee type of moment).

Also, this series has a lot of nice superhero sex..........Sweet Christmas! Smile

I've seen episode 1 and it was pretty good. My Dad hated it but he hasn't given up entirely when I mentioned the direction I thought it was going in.
(11-20-2015, 10:35 PM)Lady_Hawkeye Wrote:  Also, this series has a lot of nice superhero sex..........Sweet Christmas! Smile

Yeah, it sure does. "Sweet Christmas" indeed. o.o
I just caught the first episode, it was quite good. The very first line was absolutely atrocious (Jessica's opening narration), but I won't hold that against it. There was a good establishment of her powers, even though they were only three insignificant little displays of strength, and they really sold the absolute horror of the Purple Man.

I'm hooked for the rest of the season.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

Equality is not a loss.
Finished the season. It's a lot to take in, for numerous reasons, and it'll be a while before I can fully give my thoughts.
I finished the season, and I must say that overall this was an excellent series.  It exemplified the best of what can be done with the release-at-once series that Netflix is releasing, with a cohesive plot and overarching story and consistent, ongoing quality.  The relationship between Jessica and Trish was wonderful for its depth and history and the complete lack of some stupid issue to come between them for no reason that lead to a schism for no damn reason at all.  I kept expecting it to happen, kept waiting for them to make a stupid call over a stupid issue where I would scream at the TV "No!  This is stupid!", but they never did, and so for once we got two sisters who are best friends and manage to deal with each other.  Beautiful.  Jessica's relationship with Luke wasn't handled quite as perfectly, but still really well done.  They didn't break up over something idiotic (You're catching onto how much I hate stupidity, right?), their issues came from serious and real things that would mess up any kind of friendship.  Production wise, their decision to keep the powers low-key meant we didn't get any kind of dramatic CGI failure, or situations where they could have obviously used their powers but didn't because of budget reasons.

There were, however, two large-presence flaws in the presentation that I noticed.  Large-presence not because they're HUGE problems that ruined the show (They don't, it still well above norm) but because they stuck around for a long time and kept me scratching my head wondering why they went this direction.

The first that I noticed was Jeri Hogarth's divorce subplot.  I'm not questioning why it was included at all, because it quickly became enmeshed in the main story, but rather how it was portrayed, specifically that we saw so much of it.  Not just the parts that effected the show, but even a bunch of completely random occurrences that I honestly don't get why are in this series.  Like the scene where Jeri and Pam run into Wendy at a restaurant and get into an argument; I'd expect it if this was a series about Jeri herself, and we've had plenty of TV shows about high-power lawyers and their romantic lives, but it had nothing to do with the rest of the show.  It wasn't even part her motivations for assisting Kilgrave, since there's nothing to indicate that that encounter had a significant impact on Wendy's position on the divorce.  It's just part of Jeri's life, and I'm not understanding why we saw such a big section of the life of a relatively minor supporting character.

The second was the inclusion, and then rapid descent, of Will Simpson.  It absolutely made sense at the start, as a victim of Kilgrave and also a cop he was a perfect character to include as a teammate to explain a lot of what they can do, but it very rapidly lost control.    After one (2?) episodes they completely dropped any display of wracking guilt from his character, which was his driving motivation at the beginning and a constant part of other characters that Kilgrave has controlled.  If I'd come in two episodes after his introduction I'd think he was angry by proxy because of how Kilgrave had hurt somebody else, not that it had ever been done to him.  They also had him go first to "We've got to kill him by any means" and then "I'm a crazy violent super-soldier" way too rapidly.  There were not multiple failed efforts to grab Kilgrave to push him into "Grabbing is pointless, we have to go to killing" mindset, and then they just had him completely flip his shit in a single episode to straight-up villain once he got on the medication.  I get that he was included to bring them into IGH so that they can spool that into season two, but here it was just awkward and shoved in.

Other than those two parts the series was top-notch across the board.  I, of course, have my minor quibbles here and there about this and that, as I always do, but when it all comes down to it, it's a good show, with good characters, good conflict, some seriously @#$% shit with what Kilgrave does and can do, and overall quality entertainment.

Equality is not a loss.
(11-20-2015, 02:25 PM)AndrewCrossett Wrote:  I don't have Netflix, but... isn't this brought to us by the writer of the Twilight movies? Undecided

Not so excited.

Now I'm wondering what we could have gotten from Twilight if they hadn't been bounded by the books. The overall story isn't bad in and of itself (Normal girl unexpectedly thrust into a rivalry between various vampire clans and werewolves makes for a gripping adventure), if it hadn't been tied down by needing to be Twilight maybe she could have made it something worthwhile.

Equality is not a loss.
I don't mean to be critical but the fact that all of you have seen Twilight, a film whose core demographic is teen girls, shows that film did a hell of a lot right. I've never seen it, have no desire to see it but clearly it had a lot going for it. I feel the same way about Hunger Games another film I'm never going to see mostly because my version of that film that holds a special place in my heart is Battle Royale.
(11-24-2015, 11:28 AM)Lester C Wrote:  I've never seen it, have no desire to see it but clearly it had a lot going for it.

The thing is, it really doesn't.  Twilight has almost nothing to recommend it, and even the people in it have a lot of contempt for the series (Most of the actors have repeatedly spoken about how they did it just for the money and career boost, with some even expressing outright hatred).  I've seen essentially the entire series, but most of it was through mockery in the form of RiffTrax, commentary from satirical artists, critiques, etc., not because I enjoyed it on its own merits.  I've read and watched plenty of material aimed at a the teen girl demographic, and much of it can be phenomenal, but Twilight is not such an example.

The Hunger Games is a completely different animal, it's a good series.  Phenomenal writing, really stand-out examination of horror and emotional collapse in the midst of a rebellion, and the movies are (reasonably) well done.  I feel no shame that I'm an old(er) man enjoying a series intended for teenage girls, because quality is quality.  "It's for girls" has never been an indicator of poor quality.

Equality is not a loss.
At my comic shop earlier today, one of the guys was talking about a tweet he had seen regarding the show. I can't recall the exact wording, since I'm at two steps removed, but it was something like "Why are all the guys in this show either evil or ridiculously attractive...OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH, is this what it's like for women all the time?"

I love the way this series is making lightbulbs go off.

Equality is not a loss.
I'm going to be honest and say I dislike the sex scenes. They're a bit unnessarily graphic for the show, although you don't actually see any body parts. I don't feel they suit the general tone of the show to be honest.

The show can drag a little too but three episodes in, I am enjoying the story.
There is quite a bit of sex, enough that it comes across as deliberate "Let's show that this is an ADULT show, not for kids", but it smoothes out during its run.

Equality is not a loss.
I just finished watching the series last night.

I thought it was pretty solid and for a grade I would give it a B+. It was very good but I didn't find it awesome. It had a couple of "Hollywood' moments such as anyone chased around a corner disappeared successfully and some of Jessica's fight scenes were uneven in that a wounded police officer could hold her up for a bit while she could hold her own against a super strong character.

The source material had a diverse cast so that characters didn't have to change skin colors to include minorities which was nice.

I found the characters pretty interesting and wanted the heroes to succeed which is not always the case with when I watch TV.

I thought the changes made from the source material worked well and maybe even made the story better. I did feel the story went a little long but I certainly wasn't exhausted by it.

If it hasn't been renewed I certainly hope it does and I will readily watch another season of Jessica Jones.
My shop finally got in their re-order of the first volume of the Alias series, so I picked that up today. It's interesting to see the areas where the show stuck to the source material, and where it diverged.

The story is almost completely different, because Netflix shows in general (And the Marvel shows in particular) seem to be aiming for continuous season-long storylines, whereas the comic was (As it standard with ongoing comics) composed of individual story-arcs that could be connected into a larger whole. There are, however, individual scenes and events that are directly replicated; the opening panels of the comic and the opening scene of the series are almost identical as Jessica throws a rowdy client through the glass of her office door, and Jessica's power-boast when confronting the villain of the first arc is lifted word-for-word into the fourth episode of the show (Albeit with a very different outcome).

The tone is also very different; though Jessica is certainly down-on-her luck in the comic, each individual arc of this trade had a happy (Or at least semi-happy) ending and moments of optimism, whereas the show is (As discussed above) extremely dark and depressing throughout.

I'll probably swing by my shop and pick up the rest of the series to see where it goes.

Equality is not a loss.
Cracked.com has a fantastic (Albeit disturbing) article about how accurate and spot-on the series was in portraying the manipulation and damage that comes from a controlling/abusive stalker.

It's...it's a lot, and in the comments people are sharing a lot of their own personal traumas. All of it....whoa.

Equality is not a loss.