Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jessica Jones (spoilers)
I just finished season two of Jessica Jones, and surprisingly they managed to equal the first season. I honestly didn’t think they could do it, but they did.

What I noticed right from the beginning, and the one point that I specifically feared they wouldn’t do, was that they continued the theme of lasting impact from Kilgrave from the first season. The severe psychological trauma from what he did to Jessica was the largest ongoing theme of the first season, and I dreaded that she would be “cured” in this second season since she got her vengeance. A lot of ongoing stories have issues like this resolved once the immediate cause is over and done with, and I was relieved to see that they continued to work with the fact that a person doesn’t just magically get better once the situation is over. Don’t get me wrong, I would certainly like to see her recover, I just didn’t want the show to wave it away after having spent the first season realistically depicting the lingering effects of abuse. I like that she started to recover over the course of the second season.

Beyond just the legacy of Kilgrave, they also kept that solid bond between Jessica and Trish. That was one of the highlights of the first season, that for the two of them the other is the most important person in the world. Even though they each got a love interest over the course of the first season (Luke Cage and Will Simpson) neither replaced the other or somehow became the new #1 over the course of just a few days. Then as the second season progressed and that bond was slowly torn down…dang. I hope they reconnect in the third season, because I want to see them happy, but the show managed to sell the heartbreaking death of sisterhood. It wasn’t something stupid or petty that broke them up, it was serious situations with real consequences, and near-fatal (And fatal) missteps by both of them.

Speaking of Trish, I’m so sad about all that’s happened to her, but I like that they included all the hints and setups for her to become Hellcat next season. Particularly the one scene where she rescued Malcolm after he was being attacked outside of the gay bar, and she scratched one of them down the face as if she had her claws. I wish she’d come at it from a different angle, because she went down a very dark hole this season, but that story was well done as she fell.

The villain of the season was more hit-and-miss, and to be completely honest I think it was a cheap shot to make it Jessica’s presumed-dead mother, but even there they managed to pull out a victory. The question of family has been a driving force for the series all along, again between Jessica and Trish, but also between Trish and her mother (And Jessica and Trish’s mother). Introducing her as somebody who really does need to be defeated, who can’t be persuaded to be good since it’s not a conscious decision on her part in the first place, puts Jessica in the impossible position of needing to choose between her and everybody else. Watching that slowly grind Jessica down was painful to see, but it was shockingly effective. The sequence in the final episode as she crouches over her mother’s body was downright ugly, but perfectly executed.

They did knock it out of the park with Kilgrave’s reappearance, primarily the fact that he didn’t actually reappear. Combined with the fear that he just wouldn’t matter at all in this second season, my other biggest fear was that the series would twist itself into a knot to try and bring him back as the villain again given how popular he was. Instead having him haunt Jessica and then having her vanquish him was the best way to handle his character. She isn’t like Kilgrave, she’s nothing like he was, and seeing her finally believe it herself was beautiful. That recognition is what will be able to let her eventually move past what he did to her, and being able to say it to his face (Metaphorically speaking) was perfect.

The season wasn’t without its flaws, though. It stumbled at the beginning of the season to write conflict between Jessica and Oscar, the new building super. It was weird in and of itself as they tried to do a racism-story about prejudice against people with powers, and dropped completely after five episodes in favor of starting a relationship instead.

The pacing was also off in places, particularly with Trish and the inhaler in the middle of the season. It seems like she went to full-on addiction, then ran out and had to go cold-turkey, over the course of something like two days. She decided to continuously abuse the inhaler after just her first use, and the entire experience wasn’t given any time. I get why she started using the inhaler, her history with substance abuse combined with her desire to have powers which was evident even back in the first season, but she didn’t even hesitate or ever recognize that she was using drugs again. Even if it wouldn’t have been enough to get her to stop, she should have at least realized what was happening, like Malcolm did when she forced the inhaler on him.

I would have liked to see more of the recovery attempts like the anger management class at the beginning. I get why we couldn’t always dedicate full scenes to just having Jessica repeat herself over the same issues, but they could have included minor bits of management therapy throughout the season (Like the street naming technique) as a way to indicate that she is trying to work through these things. She does clearly need help and serious treatment to deal with even the purely mundane things she’s had to deal with, let alone the Super stuff, and I’d like to see that explored in season three.

Still, like I said at the beginning, they really managed to craft a solid show. I’ve said all along that Jessica Jones is tied with Luke Cage as the best Marvel TV series, and the second season helps it keep its position. I can’t wait for the next one.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
The big bad reveal was a near deal breaker for me where I almost didn't bother coming back to the series. But I agree with your assessment, JBK, for going down that road they did a good job with it.
Did anybody else know season three was coming out? 'Cause I had no idea until I saw it online,
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

Equality is not a loss.
Yes but that's only because I follow movie news feeds.
Jessica Jones was written and I'm guessing deep into production when they realized Marvel Netflix line was done so this next statement not fair but it's the truth. Jessica Jones is the climax of the NMCU and if the show doesn't stick the landing it will be spoken in the same breath as the final season of Game of Thrones.
It's certainly not that bad, but they made some choices that I am having trouble comprehending.

Equality is not a loss.
I just learned yesterday that in season 3, Jessica has a sassy personal assistant that's trans. They never even bring up that she's trans. it's just that the lady that played her is a trans woman and she said her character was trans. Love it.
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
I wonder what was the first depiction of a trans person on TV who wasn't either a threat or a joke.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
Good question.

I'd go with Denise from Twin Peaks. It's not perfect mind you as there's a lot of "Whaaatttttt!" reaction by people and Hawk doesn't want to shake her hand (Even though he's Native American and the concept of trans people is more widely accepted there).

I do like how Cooper just shake's off the reveal that a DEA agent he knew is now a woman.

And they did play Denise as pretty competent as a DEA agent.

I'm not sure this counts because my memory terrible but in Tony Ja first film the big bad was transgendered.
I'm going to be and asshole and say Turbo Teen
.https://youtu.be/j18e_ID-DpA
(06-27-2019, 04:25 PM)Lester C Wrote:  .https://youtu.be/j18e_ID-DpA

I have a really good memory but.............The hell was that???

When I got my vaginoplasty, they only gave me the ability to turn into a scooter, not a fancy car.

I just came up an example for the win. Quantum Leap bitches. Cool
(06-27-2019, 05:11 PM)Lester C Wrote:  I just came up an example for the win. Quantum Leap bitches. Cool

I don't know.

The character in Quantum Leap didn't identify as a woman. He was just sometimes stuck in a woman body. That's not trans.

I think Nia Nial (Dreamer) in Supergirl is first when it comes to just getting on-screen, but yes Gillian was cool (And sassy).

She was not part of the noncomprehending parts of the show.

Equality is not a loss.
Isn't a man being stuck in a woman's body the definition of being Transgendered. I saw a all the episodes in read all of the novels but don't remember anything but I think I got something with this.
Not directly linked to Jessica Jones but this is a YouTube Channel I enjoy where an actual lawyer reviews legal stuff from tv or movies and this week, the trial of Frank Castle in Daredevil season 2.

This is a serious observation I don't want anyone to think I'm making fun. As a kid there were a lot of episodes in cartoons where a female character was dressed like a man because there was a quest or simething she wanted to do but couldn'tbecause they were a girl. I know that does not count but this seems to be a lot of Gray areas built in
(06-27-2019, 05:44 PM)Lester C Wrote:  This is a serious observation I don't want anyone to think I'm making fun. As a kid there were a lot of episodes in cartoons where a female character was dressed like a man because there was a quest or simething she wanted to do but couldn'tbecause they were a girl. I know that does not count but this seems to be a lot of Gray areas built in

The thing is, being trans is being in a body of a gender where you identify as the other gender.

You can have tons of zany adventures where you need to sneak somewhere or act as someone of the other gender but in the end, if you don't identify as that gender, you aren't really trans.

For the lack of better terms, it's a "part time vs full time" type of situation.

Makes sense. This is kind of related I still can't believe all the Marvel Netflix shows are gone. When they announced the plans I honestly thought we were going to get a Netflix version of the Marvel cinematic universe