Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Last Movie You Watched and General Film Reviews II: The Returning
I saw the new Ghostbusters film today, and I have to say....not really that good. I mean, it wasn't horrible, but it turned out to be exactly the kind of generic, uninspired film I expected from the trailers. After all of the good reviews started coming in I had hoped that I would be pleasantly surprised, but it was not to be.

Kate McKinnon was entertaining as Holtzmann, and Leslie Jones was good as Patty, but neither Erin nor Abby grabbed me at all (It was 1/3 of the way through the film before I was even able to remember Abby's name). The ghost CGI was incredibly generic, and the overall story/conflict fell incredibly flat. There were only four points that actually got me to laugh out loud, and right now I can only even remember two of those (Holtzmann grabbing the guitar to smash, and Erin slipping on slime and pointing out that it seems to be coming after her specifically).

The cameos of the original cast were sort of interesting, particularly the way they were not the cameos you would expect, and there were some other cameos as well.

Overall....I'd rate it a 'C'.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
This pretty much sums up most of the reviews of that movie I've seen all weekend. Not that good but not the "OMG! This is going to be the worst movie ever made and ruin my childhood!" levels of bad.

Pretty much on par with every other remakes.

And really, if I ever hear someone say a movie "raped their childhood, as someone who had to deal with rape in her life, I might just go to jail for doing something very bad to that person. Oh no! Someone made a crappier version of something you loved as a child, it truly is the end of the world and the worst thing to happen isn't it?

I'm a huge Star Wars fans, it means a lot to me as a childhood link with my late father. Now, I really didn't like the prequels and after episode one, it took me years to eventually buy the two next one cheap on DVD to check them out. It even soured me on the Clone War cartoon, something that I've been told again and again that it really got better after a while. But that's it. I just didn't buy or watch them. I didn't throw childish temper tantrums on the internet. I just didn't care and moved on.

It's called being and acting like an adult. Wish more people would try it out.
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
I thought it was better than that to be honest. Not an absolute classic but still pretty good. I would have gave it at least three and a half stars on a scale of 5.

Maybe the humour was more my thing that some other people's but I thought Kate McKinnon, Kristen Wiig and slightly less so Mellisa McCarthy were really good. Leslie Jones was really funny at times too but to be honest she did seem to be portrayed in an outdated way unfortunately. It wasn't blatantly racist and maybe it was partly her idea as apparently she uses a lot of African American humour in her act so maybe it was her idea to be stereotypically black in terms of her behaviour but it did seem a bit overdone and it might not have sat well with some viewers that the black character was relatively uneducated and brash. She could be fun too though but it does seem dated that there were three white scientists and a black character brought in for street smarts and toughness who seemed pretty subservient to the others for much of the movie. She was part of the team but seemed to be played down an awful lot. I'll be honest and say that prior to release, I kept having to look up Leslie Jones' name as I wasn't very familiar with her and I knew Wiig and McCarthy well on film and McKinnon was a name I'd heard of but I had little idea who Leslie Jones was. I kept having to say 'and the black woman' when I was talking about the cast as she wasn't very familiar at all to me. I think I've seen her on a couple of occasions but it was actually a pity they didn't bring in a bigger name to be honest. The way Leslie Jones character joined the team may have been a nod to Winston Zedmore being non scientific too but it seems dated to have the black character as the only character of the main team not to be a qualified scientist.
So after Brad Jones aka The Cinema Snob reviewed the new Ghostbusters movie as *gasp* meh and kinda forgettable, he's gotten a lot of bad mouth and threats from people who wanted him to say it was the worst thing to happen to human civilization since the black plague or something.

With the help of his friend, he made this parody of the people criticizing him which I thought was pretty funny (Some of the stuff said in there are actual quotes from emails he's gotten).

Fair warning though, it's really not safe for work as a lot of bad words are said in there.

Love the part how he's been accused by people that apparently, Sony bought off his review so he could say that the movie was not great, forgettable and he's probably never going to see it again. You'd think Sony would bribe you to say something better than that.

This is just so far beyond ridiculous now that it's ridiculous.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

Equality is not a loss.
So, certain Killing Joke movie spoilers have popped up.

Goddamn it all, DC.
Aye, I've heard about some of those. "Goddamn it all, DC." pretty much sums it up for me, too.

Equality is not a loss.
I went to see the new Star Trek movie today.

Spock being killed five minutes in by a drunken Ewok was a bit of a surprise.

And Doctor McCoy is Luke's father after all.

I MIGHT be going to see it on Monday... ?
speaking of Star Trek, they did announced a couples of days ago that there would be another one with somehow having Kirk meet his father who died at the beginning of the the first reboot one.

Now combine that with how a few months ago, they said that the next one would have Shatner in it, I'm guessing that it's either going to be:

A) The reboot crew travels to the original universe where they will meet Shatner there and his dad who's still alive.

B) Shatner will play an older dad to Kirk which I'm sure that would please Shatner's ego since the last time we saw the dad alive, he was played by Thor himself

So......I guess old Thor looks like William Shatner. Smile

My father said he might see it tomorrow night, depending on showtimes (he has to be up early on Sunday to assist at a NY marathon). I had honestly forgotten it was coming out so soon, and was confused when he mentioned that he was thinking about seeing "the new Star Trek movie".

Equality is not a loss.
I'm really not sure if I should go and watch it on Monday as Ghostbusters was ruined by young kids and I might be better waiting until the school kids go back to school in mid August so I can see it in peace.

Suicide Squad will be OK as kids can't see that movie at all in the UK (Hoorah!) but virtually every other movie I was planning on going to could be ruined in the way Ghostbusters was a couple of weeks ago by screaming kids.

I've never been to a 3D screening before. I have used basic 3D glasses but never on a big screen and I was wondering if 3D IMAX is as good as I've heard it is.

If so, then I'll be going to an IMAX Suicide Squad screening.
I've seen Ghostbusters and Star Trek Beyond. They are both generally good, though Ghostbusters does have its flaws. For what it's worth, Beyond is a huge step up from Into Darkness, with one of the most gloriously cheesy uses of the Beastie Boys put to film.
I saw Star Trek Beyond today. Of the three movies featuring the reboot version of the Star Trek Universe, this is quite easily the best of the trio. Lots of action, some humor and the CGI wasn't a whole lot of nothing.

I had serious issues with the first two movies...okay, I freaking hated them! They felt nothing like Star Trek.

This one actually feels more like a Trek movie, even if I sometimes think some of the actors are doing their roles as if they were a tribute band.

The resolution to the story was a little bit lame. I still don't FEEL this crew as being "of Trek", but they sure came a lot closer than the first two times around.

The twist with the main villain was quite interesting, I did not see that coming until right up to when they revealed it.

And I loved the new character of Jaylah (the girl with the very white skin and black striping on her face). She was fantastic and I only wish she was someone that could've been created for the original Trek.

All in all, given the balls to the wall action and the increased movement towards the series actually being STAR TREK, I gave this one a 7 out of 10 on IMDB.
I might see Star Trek : Beyond tomorrow but I'm not sure if the local holiday will mess the buses up.
I've found out the local holiday is next week so I'll probably see Star Trek tomorrow after all.

The local buses are all messed up on local holidays and we have specific Mondays that are local holidays and they're spaced out. They're all called Fair Monday and there is a Greenock one, a Glasgow one and finally a Paisley one. Greenock around 4 July, Glasgow 2 weeks later and Paisley 2 weeks later than that. Oddly the bus services seem to be affected on only one local holiday even if they go to two districts which is rather annoying for those belonging to the other area. My local services are only affected on the Paisley holidays yet go through Glasgow, while many services leaving Glasgow to parts of Lanarkshire are affected on Glasgow holidays.

My local Post Office keeps closing on Glasgow holidays despite people constantly complaining as the owners are a Glaswegian Asian family and they seem oblivious to the fact that they keep closing on days where it is business as usual for local people then open on holidays which is extremely annoying and stupid to be honest. They may live in Glasgow but they're not in business there.
(07-22-2016, 08:24 PM)Rozen Wrote:  So, certain Killing Joke movie spoilers have popped up.

Goddamn it all, DC.
(07-22-2016, 08:55 PM)JBK405 Wrote:  Aye, I've heard about some of those. "Goddamn it all, DC." pretty much sums it up for me, too.

I read a review this morning and wow..... "Must be her time of the month" joke on Batgirl in 2016. Classy DC.

And they said they added that part because they wanted to empower the character of Batgirl.

That's downright tame compared to some of the stuff I heard. Apparently in this rendition, Bruce and Barbara (Who is, if I take it correctly, the teenage heroine she is often portrayed as, not the Adult she was in the comics of the era) are a sexual couple, because it didn't strike as real that Bruce would care so much unless it was "his" woman that was attacked.

That's about seven levels of disgusting right there.

Equality is not a loss.
The review I've read compared the relationship to 50 Shades of Grey so that right there says a lot.

Oh...oh god....

BRUCE TIMM WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU?!?!?!?!?

Equality is not a loss.
Are we sure that it wasn't Frank Miller wearing a Bruce Timm mask who wrote that thing?