Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Last Movie You Watched and General Film Reviews II: The Returning
I'm thinking of going to see Pete's Dragon tomorrow.
I'm not sure what to see in the coming weeks. I might try to get to a Star Trek : Beyond showing as the school kids are going back to school here on Monday (we have June-August holidays in Scotland compared to the English July-September schedule) and I might be able to see a 12A movie in relative peace.

Films later in their run seem to be a lot quieter anyway. Mondays have cheaper admission.
I came home from the comic shop on Wednesday with a copy of Tom Waits: Big Time, a Tom Waits concert film. I'm...a little scared to actually watch it.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
(08-12-2016, 01:33 AM)JBK405 Wrote:  I'd honestly forgotten Ben-Hur was even being done again.
So did everyone else. They keep moving the release date that tells me they are afraid. They should just wait for Dec 25 with the Christ in the title that gotta be worth a few million right there.
In this one, Judah Ben-Hur fights giant CGI monsters.
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
I saw Pete's Dragon today.

I made the small mistake of watching the original last night and while I loved it when I saw it as a kid, it really doesn't hold up as anything other than a goofy musical Disney classic. Elliott in the movie is well done overall but the sheer stupidity downgrades the film for me.

As for the new version of the movie, if I was grading on how much the kids will love it, I'd say it was an 8.

It's a typical family friendly type of movie and while the movie follows a clear tried and true story path, it was enjoyable enough. Overall, I'd say it was about a 7 for anyone that watched the film that wasn't under the age of 10.
Did it follow the same story as the original?
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” --Benito Mussolini
No, it was a little different. Still an orphan boy but circumstances were different and there was no family of rednecks.
I have almost no memories of the original film. I remember liking it, but that's about it.

I watched The Nice Guys yesterday, it was interesting, but I think it suffered from not quite knowing what it wanted to be. The villain of the story turns out to be the Detroit automotive industry, and I'm homestly not sure if they're criticizing the industry of the day and saying "See the problems we have now because of them", or if they're trying to criticize our current situation. It also seemed to turn into an action film at the end--with explosions--when up until then the fighting and shooting had all been subdued.

Russel Crowe and Ryan Gosling worked well together, and there was an interesting rest of the cast. It just should have focused itself better.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

Equality is not a loss.
Almsost certainly going to Star Trek : Beyond tomorrow. Held off until the school kids went back to school as they were a bit disruptive at 12A movies during the holidays. Suicide Squad was a dream because it was for 15 years and up here in the UK and not the more lenient 12A rating where young kids can get in with an adult. It is PG-13 in America though. The Suicide Squad screening last week was good because I sat in the more expensive Premier area and there was only a moderate number of people at the showing.

The 2D Star Trek tomorrow doesn't have any reserved seating but there might be a few Premier seats in the screening but probably not, I think it may be entirely normal seats, which are OK but not as spacious or comfortable as the big and very supportive seats in the Premier area. Lots of legroom too!
Something which tends to be an anomaly in Scotland is that TV shows and events for kids (including movie screenings) often run as long as a month AFTER the kids go back to school here as Scotland has a different holiday schedule from England. It used to be very common for children's movies to open in Scotland a week or more ahead of England in the summer as kids were off school a month before England.

The fact that films are often released just behind America nowadays (and often in the same week and even before in rare occasions with the likes of the new Star Wars and Ghostbusters) has kinda killed that though as there used to be a gap of months.

Something that was awful for Scottish kids in the days of four channel TV in my youth was that programming for kids in Scotland would often start weeks into the summer holidays and end weeks after they went back while English kids got the shows at the right time. Eventually there was a special Scottish show that filled in the early weeks and often wasn't quite as good but was at least an attempt to give the Scottish kids something to watch.

Scottish bank holidays (common public holidays, usually on Mondays) were often on a different date from English ones and it used to often be the case that special children's shows would be heavily advertised but were shown while Scottish kids were at school while we got virtually nothing here. To an extent this was adjusted into the 90s and movies and shows would be shown on different dates to allow for holidays.

An imbalance between Scotland and England used to be common and I even remember being sent vouchers for various events and things as a kid from a company I had purchased goods from only to discover they were useless despite being valid here as the dates available were all during English school holidays and not Scottish ones. My parents even contacted the company involved with a small note and they were apologetic and explained that the same terms and conditions for the whole of the UK were being used but it hadn't occurred to them that there was as big of a time difference and sure enough, the following year, the Scottish vouchers were adjusted to about a month earlier and were a yellow colour instead of red and blue.
Finally saw Batman V Superman yesterday and while not a masterpiece by far, it was better than Man of Steel (Which I hated so not that hard to beat).

The Good: The Batman and Wonder Woman parts were ok. Kinda like Bruce's dealing with PTSD after what seems like Robin's death and Diana's glee at fighting Doomsday was fun. ( I really liked Superman telling her to be careful since it's a creature not of this world and smiling, Diana says that it's good cause she hasn't fought something not of this world in a while and jumping into battle). I was honestly pleasantly surprised by Affleck's Batman performance. I'm open to more of him in the role. I liked that after the Nolan's trilogy (Which I enjoyed but Nolan did admit that he basically made James Bond movies with Bond wearing a costume), they did here a batman that was more "Comic book like" and a little less grounded in reality, which is a good choice if he's hanging out with Supes and Wonder Woman.

The bad: I still don't like Clark very much. He can be such an idiot sometimes. He simply can't wrap his head on the concept that some people are scared and don't trust the super powerful and pretty much unstoppable alien who acts on his own and destroyed most of Metropolis in the fight that introduced him to the world. Gee, I can't imagine why? And when he's blackmailed by Lex to go fight and kill Batman, he only tries once to tell Bruce he's being blackmailed, then pretty much says "f*ck it" and starts punching. I get that the whole premise of the movie was sold on this fight but it seemed like Clark should've tried to explain himself more and that doesn't help the whole premise that people don't really trust him if he has a temper.

Also, I didn't like Perry White a whole lot in this. It honestly felt like the director told Laurence Fishburne to just do a J.J. Jameson imitation. I almost expected Perry to yell at Clark to go get some pictures of that menace Spiderman at some point.

The Ugly: Lex Luthor. Jeez, whomever decided that making Luthor a young hipster character who never shuts up and looks like he lives on too much energy drinks needs to have his writer's licence revoked. Seriously. SO ANNOYING!!!!!! I want him in the next Suicide Squad movie so Waller can just put those explosives in his neck and make his head explode as an example for the newer recruits.

So that's it. All in all, an ok movie (If you can watch it on tv for free with a snack and beer, do it). Not horrible but FAR from what Marvel is doing currently in my own opinion.
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
I had planned to see Kubo and the Two Strings today, but I didn't make it to the theater (I'll probably catch it during the week). I've been intrigued since I saw the first trailer, but I've got to say that I began to actually want to see if after I saw the music video for the "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" cover on the soundtrack.

Equality is not a loss.
Just watched the 2 1/2 hour extended version of "The Blues Brothers" for the first time. This was the original version submitted by John Landis which eventually got cut by 20 minutes. This version was better as it had longer versions of some of the musical numbers, including the full version of John Lee Hooker's street performance.

I don't believe I've seen that version (Unless I've only seen that version). is it publicly available?

Equality is not a loss.
(08-22-2016, 03:48 AM)JBK405 Wrote:  I don't believe I've seen that version (Unless I've only seen that version).  is it publicly available?

It's on DVD... look for the "Collector's Edition" and 2:38 running time. Amazon has it for less than 10 bucks.

(08-21-2016, 11:41 PM)JBK405 Wrote:  I had planned to see Kubo and the Two Strings today, but I didn't make it to the theater (I'll probably catch it during the week).  I've been intrigued since I saw the first trailer, but I've got to say that I began to actually want to see if after I saw the music video for the "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" cover on the soundtrack.

I saw Kubo,yesturday.
In french it was called Kubo and the magic sword.

It was a ok movie.

I'm gona go see the mechanic sequel,with Jason Statham.
The storie look realy dumb. it's just the plot of,kill those people or I kill your familly.
I just got back form The Mechanic: Resurrection.

...Dont better.
Just try to find and watch commando instead.

It's a dumb movie and Jessica Alba could have been replaced by a potted plant.
It would have made the sex scene awkward.meh

Even the action scenes where'nt that good.
That sounds like what I expected. My father was considering seeing it after he learned that Anthropoid wasn'tplaying near us, but I managed to talk him out of it.

Equality is not a loss.
The screening times aren't really suiting me for the Monday cheap screenings at my local cinema and War Dogs seems the most viable option. It looks vaguely interesting but not exactly mindblowing. Is it a stinker?