Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Last Movie You Watched and General Film Reviews II: The Returning
That jives pretty well with most of the spoilers I had heard beforehand.

I find the entire Terminator franchise very confusing, because with half a dozen big-budget high-profile moves over the past 20 years, how have none of them been good?
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
(11-04-2019, 04:09 PM)JBK405 Wrote:  That jives pretty well with most of the spoilers I had heard beforehand.

I find the entire Terminator franchise very confusing, because with half a dozen big-budget high-profile moves over the past 20 years, how have none of them been good?

It takes a special kind of talent to do that.

What bugs me is that Cameron kept saying that this new movie would fix all the continuity issues after T2 except it REALLY doesn't. It just makes the first two movies completely irrelevant.

If Skynet is destroyed, no worries, there's a program called Legion that will do the same a few decades later.

If John Connor is killed, no worries, there's another person that will simply replace him.

That kinda takes away the whole drama from the concept of the first movies.
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.
I read this article today and they sum it up pretty well at one point: People honestly don't seem to like the Terminator film franchise.

They liked the first two films at the time, but that was thirty years ago and they were unique products that each came at popular culture in unprecedented ways.  For the past few years nobody has really been clamoring for more content.  The franchise doesn't have a wildly successful range of supplemental video games or books or ongoing comics, and each new film has failed to capture attention.  With that kind of baggage, even with the new film being 'good enough' (And the reviews are saying that it's at least better than Genisys and Salvation) that's not enough to get people to actually care.

I like the analogy the author gave: Dark Fate couldn't afford to be The Force Awakens, a film almost guaranteed to be a success because of the franchise so all it had to was not-suck, it had to be Fury Road and recapture attention all by itself. When people have already decided to tune out, 'good enough' isn't good enough.
Life is like a roller coaster.  It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

Equality is not a loss.
I think that what makes the Terminator franchise difficult to write sequels to is that in the end, the good guys and the bad guys are separated by time so writing a sequel where it doesn't repeat stuff isn't easy.

They tried with Salvation and it failed.

Also, when you think about it, in the end, the first movie told a very complete story.

In the future, humanity fought an evil computer and it's horde of robots. They managed to win but at the last battleground, as he was losing, the evil computer sent a robot back in time to kill the rebel leader in the hope that it would change the result of the future war. In response to that, the rebels sent a soldier back in time to protect the rebel leader's mom from the robot. Turns out, that soldier is also the rebel leader's father.

That's it, the time loop is closed. Adding anything to this will make the storyline weaker and weaker until it just breaks under the new stuff added.
Always be true to yourself.

Being transgender is beautiful.